DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Technology and web:
- Current web authoring technologies (HTML/HTML5, CSS, etc.)
- Scripting/programming language basics (variables, program control structures, etc. for current languages)
- Relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL or similar)
- Design, usability/UX, accessibility
- Content management systems/platforms (WordPress, Drupal or similar)
- Current technology trends and issues and implications for libraries
- Library systems (ILS, discovery systems, link resolvers, services and applications; Millennium ILS preferred)
- Library metadata standards and structures (MARC21/MARCXML or other current metadata standards)
- Library web applications
- Basic technology-related troubleshooting skills
- Strong public or customer service skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Project coordination and management skills
- Prioritization among multiple projects
- Learn independently or as part of a group
- Assess both explicit and unstated needs
- Work independently and without constant supervision
- Identify problems or needs, investigate multiple solutions and recommend appropriate resolution
- Explain technical issues or provide technical instruction to individuals with diverse technological proficiency
Bachelor's degree, other relevant degree or equivalent work experience required.
OHIONET is a small organization. Therefore, on occasion, OHIONET employees are called upon to fulfill tasks that are not related to the "Duties and Responsibilities" of that position.
Individual must possess a valid State of Ohio Motor Vehicle Operator’s license or obtain such within 30 days of employment.
This position is Exempt from the wage and overtime provisions of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Assist in the support and administration of OHIONET-managed library systems, including the shared Innovative Interfaces system for the OPAL consortium (a group of 24 academic libraries in Ohio), the OHNT2/OSLS shared Innovative Interfaces system, OHIONET-managed proxy servers.
Develop and maintain the web presences for the OPAL Consortium, including the OPAL shared catalog interface and the OPAL website.
Assist in the identification, investigation, development and implementation of other technology-related services and solutions that support needs of OHIONET member libraries and groups.
As a member of the OHIONET staff and its Technology Services department, this position:
• Reports to the Director of Technology Services.
• Serves on the Technology Services member support team and participates in its support rotation during business hours.
• Participates in the Technology Services system administration team and its after-hours emergency, on-call support rotation.
• Attends other OHIONET meetings and serves on teams and other functions as warranted.
• Interacts extensively with the OPAL library consortium, attending OPAL meetings and participating in the consortium’s Committee, Task Force and other group initiatives as needed.
1. Provide technical support via email, telephone and fax to individuals with varying levels of technical expertise.
2. Provide system-related training to OPAL library staff in their use of the Innovative Interfaces Millennium system and other OPAL systems.
3. Utilize programming, technical and troubleshooting skills in operating hardware and software employed by the OPAL consortium.
4. Employ principles of web usability and design skills to develop and maintain the OPAL web site and catalog interface.
5. Assist in the administration of software applications and other components of OHIONET-managed systems, including Innovative Millennium application, EZProxy and other systems.
6. Coordinate system service, maintenance and/or replacement with other OHIONET staff, OHIONET libraries, vendor representatives and consultants.
7. Prepare complete and accurate documentation to support OHIONET systems and projects.
8. Prepare and deliver training sessions covering relevant topics and delivered both online, via synchronous and asynchronous methods, and in-person.
9. Participate in after-hours and weekend on-call support rotation.
10. Serve as backup for other departmental staff when applicable.
11. Travel as needed to support OHIONET projects.
12. Attend meetings based on the needs of OHIONET projects.
13. Perform other duties, as assigned.
Interested applicants should send a letter of application, resume, and
three references with addresses and phone numbers to:
Jennifer Turner, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director of Administrative Services
1500 W. Lane Ave.
Columbus OH 43221
Email submissions are acceptable.