Position Summary: Under limited supervision, acts as the system-wide selector in assigned areas. Participates in system collection development including selection, classification, replacement and weeding of library materials. Regularly works at eight branches to maintain awareness of community needs.
Essential job functions: This list is not exhaustive. Additional duties may be added at any time at management discretion
• Selects new and replacement library materials in all formats and determines the number of copies to distribute to each branch using various selection resources including, but not limited to reviews, publishers’ lists, branch profiles, and patron requests. Develops the collection to meet and support various library priorities and initiatives.
• Makes recommendations and assists in monitoring of the system Collection Development budget. Adheres to assigned budget.
• Maintains close contact with branches, including regular onsite branch visits consisting of working at the reference desk and providing reference service to public, consulting with staff about branch profiles, providing weeding and merchandising suggestions if required. Updates branch profiles in assigned areas.
• Verifies branch librarian selections for addition to the collection
• Assigns Dewey Decimal Classification number and genres to titles in ordering cart
• May request original cataloging and overlays of existing bib records
• Collaborates with Marketing team to create and maintain content for the library’s intranet, internet and social media sites to promote newly selected materials
• Compiles and analyzes collection development related statistics.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
• Willingness and adaptability to work in a changing work environment
• Understand Library policies and procedures, Library science and information technology, Budget Planning and Administration, Cost analysis, Dewey Decimal Classification System
• Knowledge and familiarity with a wide range of books, audiovisual materials, authors and literary trends. Library material processing methods and procedures, Automation systems, Electronic information resources, Major library materials vendors.
• Excellent communications skills; ability to write concise and coherent reports with keen listening and strong verbal skills.
• Experience working with budgets and using Microsoft Excel to prepare budget reports.
• Ability to use office technology systems including personal computer, software programs (i.e., word processing, email) and other job related equipment, software and hardware. Job related software includes integrated materials purchasing and inventory system and financial software system.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with leadership, peers and customers.
Minimum education, experience and Licensing Requirements:
• ALA accredited MLS degree.
• Two (2) years of public library experience with selection experience.
• A valid driver’s license is required to operate library-owned vehicles and a clean driving record must be maintained at all times.
• Able to use hands and fingers to grasp, feel or operate objects, tools, machinery, or controls; including computers, phones and office equipment.
• Ability to lift 40 pounds unassisted. Ability to push full book carts.
• Able to read printed materials and computer screen for near-continual computer terminal use.
If interested provide: Resume, work references and Geauga County Public Library application.
Application available online at: http://divi.geaugalibrary.net/28458-2/career-opportunities/
Apply Online: GCPL.firstname.lastname@example.org
Geauga County Public Library – Administrative Center
12701 Ravenwood Drive, Chardon, OH 44024