Assists the librarians at the reference desk during the Library’s public hours
- Performs opening and closing procedures.
- Registers patrons and acquaints them with library rules and policies.
- Answers reference questions in person, on-line and over the phone, matching appropriate resources to researcher needs.
- Refers patrons to appropriate librarian or curator if special assistance is needed.
- Instructs patrons in the use of computer databases, including the online catalog.
- Retrieves library materials in a variety of formats
- Ensures the preservation and security of library materials by recording items on patron registration forms and reviewing these items when returned.
- Aids patrons in the operation of microfilm readers and audio-visual equipment.
- Enters information from registration forms into the CUADRA Star database.
- Sorts, shelves, and files library materials accurately.
- Assists with reference correspondence involving photocopy requests, directory searches, and newspaper research.
Required to perform other duties as requested or assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent. At least two years of college preferred.
- Some familiarity with library procedures.
- Customer service oriented. At least one year prior experience working with the public.
- Knowledge of Cincinnati history desired.
- Must have attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with a diverse internal and external audience.
- Able to work independently and must have the ability to work a flexible part-time schedule inclusive of two Saturdays per month.
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Suite.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
The Cincinnati History Library and Archives at Cincinnati Museum Center houses one of the most significant regional history collections in the United States, containing a variety of materials from printed works to manuscripts to audiovisual items. Working with the librarians at the reference desk, the library assistant helps users gain access to information and materials found in the Library’s collections.
To apply online go to: