Do you work with cataloging or records maintenance at your library? Could you use a better understanding of how subject headings are assigned?
This webinar series will focus on the skills and knowledge necessary to understand and assess existing subject headings in MARC format. The course is aimed at those individuals primarily practicing copy cataloging. Through these sessions attendees will have the opportunity to gain an overview of the variety of subject heading systems, understand the rules for how LoC subject headings are assigned to a record, recognize the variety of RDA-related changes in subject authority records, explore MARC21 for subject headings in bib records and LCSH authority records and assess the quality of existing records. We will also cover catalogers' judgement and bias.
This first session in the Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers series will give an overview of the process of subject analysis. We will describe the vocabulary and resources you need to get started. Through this session, attendees will have the opportunity to...
- explore the variety of subject heading systems
- discuss cataloger's judgment and bias
- learn about MARC21 coding for subject headings in bibliographic records and Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Attendees must have attended the in-person or online version of our Fundamentals of Cataloging: Introduction or have an appropriate combination of other course work or experience with basic cataloging concepts and workflows.
- Attendees should plan to have 2-3 physical items available at their desks during the session for hands-on practice time.
OhioNET members can register at no cost using the button above.