Bias and Micro Messages Workshop
Improve your communication skills and raise your awareness of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion issues with this hands-on, in-person workshop at OhioNet led by the specialist trainers of SHIFT Consulting at the Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio.
This foundational training serves as a starting point for diversity and inclusion programming. It explores the phenomena of bias and how professionals can minimize its effects on employee and customer/client/patron relations. Participants will learn how their own unique identities shape their experiences and impact their day-to-day interactions with others.
Through exploration and application of practical advice, participants will gain greater confidence in their ability to communicate value and have a positive impact through micro-affirmations and develop other skills that will aid them in creating an inclusive space where everyone is respected, valued, and appreciated.
Attendees will have the opportunity to…
- Explore strategies for minimizing the effects of bias, which can manifest in the form of verbal, non-verbal, and environmental micro-messages.
- Examine the role they play in communicating micro-messages
- Build skills that will aid them in addressing micro-inequities when they occur.
- Assess and critically apply strategies to address micro-inequities within their own relationships and work teams.
- Discuss best practices for receiving critical feedback.
- Reflect on the application of these new skills and knowledge in their workplaces and professional roles.
Participants can also expect…
- Four hours of live, interactive instruction at OhioNet’s new location on Polaris Parkway!
- Handouts, activities, and worksheets provided by SHIFT Consulting
- A one-hour break for lunch on their own
Meeting dates and times
- Wednesday, 3/22/23 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. (with an hour-long break for lunch between 12-1 p.m.)
Who Should Attend
Anyone interested in gaining a better understanding of the impact of bias on their interactions and exploring tactics to foster inclusive conversations at their workplace.
Training for this session will be provided by team members from SHIFT Consulting—the professional services division of The Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio. SHIFT Consulting focuses on leadership and organizational development initiatives with a justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) lens that supports the development of inclusive environments where all feel connected, respected, and valued.
This event is full but you can still join the waitlist! Register now and we’ll send you an email if you get a seat. We promise we’ll only charge your card (if applicable) if you get in.
"*" indicates required fields