- Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association (A.L.A.) accredited institution.
- Minimum three years academic library experience as a professional librarian.
- Minimum three years of acquisitions responsibilities as a professional librarian.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently with outstanding organization and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage projects and meet established deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of technical services processes.
- Demonstrated budget management experience highly desired.
- Understanding of Sierra Acquisitions module will be of benefit.
This is a full time position with full benefit package. To ensure consideration, interested/qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references on Xavier University’s website. Applications will be received through March 31, 2019 or until position is filled.
XAVIER UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Job Description: Xavier University seeks applicants to fill the vacancy for Acquisitions Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Collection Services and contributing to Electronic Resource Management decisions, the successful candidate for this full time position (37.5 hours/week) will provide management of materials acquisition for subscriptions, purchases, and gifts in all formats, track and reconcile budget expenditures, and offer problem resolution in communicating with vendors and patrons.
Position summary: Provides leadership and management for all aspects of library acquisitions including planning, fiscal management, vendor/publisher relations, staffing, as well as the ordering, licensing, receiving, invoicing, claiming, and troubleshooting of materials in all formats. Participates in the provision of effective public service activities including reference, instruction, collection development and liaison responsibilities.
1. Manage all aspects of library acquisitions.
- Manage the ordering, licensing, receiving, claiming, payment, and record keeping of library materials including monographs, media, standing orders, and electronic resources.
- Manage an approval plan program.
- Manage gift materials received into the department including making retention decisions and managing their disposition.
- Ensure an efficient and effective workflow for Acquisitions within Collection Services.
- Evaluate current acquisitions policies and procedures and recommend appropriate changes especially in response to changing technologies.
- Work with Head of Library Systems to establish procedures (including updates) for functions performed in Innovative Interfaces, Inc.’s acquisitions module.
- Stay abreast of current developments and trends in the acquisition of library materials, the publishing market and new technologies.
- Work with Head of Collection Services Librarian to monitor expenditures and choose vendors.
- Track vendor performance.
- Oversee the fiscal management of library acquisitions.
- Manage a materials budget.
- Process invoices for all acquired materials.
- Work with the Accounts Payable Department and University Library Administrative Assistant to ensure timely payment of vendor invoices.
- Generate and maintain statistical and financial reports.
- Conduct periodic budget reconciliations between the Library’s integrated library system (ILS) and the University’s financial system.
- Oversee fiscal year close.
- Maintain communication with both internal customers and outside vendors regarding
library acquisitions-related matters.
- Serve as initial point of contact when electronic resource subscription and/or access issues arise.
- Serve as the primary contact to faculty regarding budget and order status questions. Work with vendors/publishers, University IT staff, and other Library staff as needed to resolve issues.
- Serve as primary contact for vendor and publisher representatives and conducts negotiations to secure discounts and services as well as initiate database trial subscriptions
- Serves as a member of the professional librarian team, and through the Connection Center and the library liaison program.
- Provide excellent, thorough reference and research assistance (some evening and
weekend shifts required).
- Provide consistent communication, outreach and promotion of library resources and
- Provide information fluency and information literacy training.
- Participates actively in collection development activities as appropriate
- Demonstrates proficiency in Core Competencies for Librarians at Xavier
Library Director, Xavier University