Organization:Dayton Metro Library
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an A.L.A. accredited program, minimum of three to five years of increasingly responsible experience in a public library setting at a professional level, and supervisory experience preferred.
- One year of experience performing acquisitions or technical services work in a library setting, preferred.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required. Ability to periodically drive.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, theories, concepts, policies and procedures.
- Ability to plan, schedule, and oversee operations and personnel. Ability to prepare and administer budgets. Ability to maintain effective relationships with vendors, organizations, the public, and the staff.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with vendors, publishers, organizations, the public and the staff. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and policy and procedure manuals. Ability to write reports and business correspondence clearly and informatively.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from staff, patrons, and members of the community individually and in a group setting. Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Typical hours for this position are Monday through Friday, 8:00AM – 5:00PM; occasional evenings and weekends required.
The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Dayton Metro Library has created a new position, Acquisitions Manager, and we want you to apply! The Acquisitions Manager reports to our Collection Development Director and will supervise five clerks. The successful candidate will be eager to learn the current operations of the department and then implement changes that will improve our business model. This could include introducing EDI in order to make paying our bills easier. We are looking for an individual who excels at implementing changes and navigating staff through those changes. Prior experience working in an acquisitions department or technical services area of a library is preferred. If you enjoy working in a team-oriented environment and relish the idea of improving workflows, then join our team today!
- Assists the Collection Development Director in establishing and implementing goals and objectives for the department which support the Library’s mission.
- Assists Collection Development Director with acquisitions and serials management.
- Directly hires, manages, trains, evaluates, and schedules Receiving Clerk, Acquisitions Clerks and Senior Acquisitions Clerk. Oversees agency volunteers. Serves as liaison between direct reports and Collection Development Director.
- Reviews, refines, and updates acquisitions procedures and processes. Trains staff responsible for acquisitions on new and/or updated processes and procedures
- Serves as a liaison to Finance and ensures proper fiscal control of the acquisitions processes.
- Coordinates the review of annual standing orders with Selection Librarians and implements changes with vendors.
- Oversees serials acquisitions, prediction patterns for periodicals, distribution, and claiming of missing items. Trains branch staff who perform serials check in at branches.
- Oversees application of credits, communication of vendor cancellations, and statement reviews.
- Updates Collection Development documentation for integrated library system functions as needed. Coordinates acquisitions functions with Selection Librarians.
- Implements Library policies and procedures at the agency level. Participates in policy revision and in the formulation of policies and procedures. Interprets Library policies to staff and patrons with a patron-responsive management perspective.
- Assists with system-wide decision making through consistent information sharing, regular attendance at managers’ meetings and service on committees.
For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at email@example.com by April 9, 2019.