Adult Reference Librarian
Organization:Westerville Public Library
- MLS degree from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Two years of experience in a public library setting.
- Experience planning large public events/programs for libraries a plus.
- A positive attitude, willingness to accept change and commitment to quality customer service.
- General knowledge of library principles, practices, technology, and procedures.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public.
- Ability to learn and operate complex computer applications and programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting.
- Ability to stoop, bend, lift and accompany customers throughout the library.
- Technology: Demonstrates general understanding of basic computer skills coupled with an understanding and knowledge of library provided equipment and software including the website, databases, catalog, and ILS; the ability to troubleshoot basic technology problems.
- Teamwork: The ability to work collaboratively with others to achieve department goals.
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion: Commitment to interact appropriately, fairly, and equitably with all; the ability to demonstrate and foster respect for all individuals and points of view.
- Ethics: Commitment to the Ohio Ethics Law and the basic ethics and values of library service.
- Intellectual Freedom: The understanding and support of the library's role in providing free and equal access to ideas, information, resources, and services, from all points of view, without restriction, to every individual.
- While performing duties of job, employee typically handles office equipment, objects, or controls and frequently communicates with others. Work requires moderate physical exertion, including occasional bending, kneeling, stooping and standing; some lifting and moving of heavy objects/book carts (up to 20 lbs.).
- The majority of the work is performed in an office setting.
To apply for this position go to www.westervillelibrary.org/careers.
The Westerville Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.
Reporting to the Manager of the Adult Services Department, an Adult Services Librarian is primarily responsible for providing outstanding reference service and helping customers use technology. They will apply the principles and practices of the library profession to meet the educational, cultural and informational needs of the Westerville community in accordance with the goals and objectives established by the library board.
- Answers reference questions in print and online.
- Conducts department-sponsored programs.
- Performs interlibrary loan duties.
- Conducts class visits.
- Instructs customers in use of technology.
- Performs database searches.
- Keeps machines and equipment operational.
- Responds to customer needs and deals with them in a pleasant, friendly and professional manner.
- Proctors exams.
- Compiles book lists, web lists and subject bibliographies.
- Creates displays of library materials.
- Assists in preparation of news releases & fliers.
- Handles customer complaints.
- Explains library policy to customers and applies it judiciously.
- Acts as Librarian-in-Charge as needed.
- May be asked to act in the Manager's absence.