Adult Services Coordinator
Organization:Licking County Library
General Requirements: Along with the commitment and desire to provide excellent service to library customers, all Licking County Library employees must have the ability to maintain predictable and regular attendance, work a flexible schedule including daytime, evening and weekend hours, communicate, comprehend and follow Library policy and procedure and develop and maintain positive working relationships with all internal and external customers. All employees must be able to understand library wide operations, satisfactorily perform all of the responsibilities associated with a specific job title and meet the physical requirements of that same job title. All employees must have the ability to alphabetize and perform basic math operations. In addition, all employees must have the ability to work according to the priorities as established by Library Administration and/or the Library Board of Trustees and to adapt to change as necessary.
Minimum Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Master’s in Library Science Degree from an accredited college or university required with an emphasis in Adult Services.
- Three years’ supervisory experience required.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle to provide own transportation when participating in off-site library business.
- Library certification from the Ohio Library Council, preferred.
- Must successfully pass a background check.
Mission: To serve our community of lifelong learners. The Adult Services Coordinator supports that mission by ensuring that the Library’s Adult Services programs, services, and materials are meeting the needs of the community while providing the best customer service at all times.
Personal & Professional Attributes: All Licking County Library employees are expected to exercise sensitivity when working with others, display common sense and good judgment, actively promote the Library to the public, uphold the highest level of confidentiality, honesty and integrity, and represent the Library in a positive and professional manner at all times.
Core Technology Competencies: All Licking County Library employees must have a demonstrated working knowledge of computer operations, standard office equipment (copiers, faxes, etc.) and must be able to perform simple searches on the Library’s online catalog. In addition, all employees must be able to prepare basic documents using a word processing program and have the ability to comprehend and explain to others all Library services including those relating to e-media and e-media devices.
- Supervise and perform all duties associated with adult services (collection development, programming, creating displays and promotions, weeding, etc.)
- Provide exemplary customer service by answering directional and reference questions, providing reader’s advisory services, locating materials, processing hold requests, monitoring behavior of library customers, and ensuring that the library is neat and orderly.
- Perform clerical duties common to a library environment such as issuing library cards, collecting of lost item fines, answering telephone, renewing materials, scheduling study rooms, etc.
- Initiate Inter-library loan requests by verifying materials not in library consortium and placing request.
- Facilitate and encourage professional development opportunities for Adult Services staff.
- Facilitate department participation in signature events and community collaborations.
- Instruct and assist customers in how to use Public Access Catalog terminal and other Library equipment.
- Participate in Library System long-range planning, departmental goal-setting, collection development, and development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Evaluate system-wide equipment, materials, services, programs, procedures, and recommend purchases and changes to Director.
- Select reference databases and indexes for the Library’s collection and evaluates with consideration to accuracy, cost, and demand by users and ease of access (i.e. Past Perfect, Evanced, Hayes Obit Index, etc.).
- Compile information and statistics and prepare and submit reports to the Public Services Manager (i.e. database statistics, reference statistics, etc.).
- Participate in department staff hiring, evaluation, and train staff how to perform duties according to standardized procedures and follow and implement Library policy.
- Participate in training new hires that are going through the Onboarding Program.
- Coordinate, educate, and conduct classes and presentations for customers and staff on and off-site on library services and resources (i.e. speaker’s bureau, community groups, internal staff training, etc).
- Delegate tasks among department staff members, approve vacation schedules, and verify staff payroll time sheets.
- Ensure staff duties are performed properly and in a timely manner.
- Inform staff of Library policy and procedures, provide direction, and problem-solving.
- Communicate with vendors and resolve problems.
- Prepare for opening and closing by turning on/off lights and equipment.
- All other duties as needed or as assigned.
- May attend library continuing education activities and/or represent Library at conferences and area events.