Adult Services Librarian
About this Job
Works under the general direction of the Library Director providing library services to adults, including reference assistance, reader’s advisory, programming, community activities and collection development; works with staff to monitor and evaluate services to adults; promotes and publicizes the adult services program in the schools and the community; supervises the daily operation of the Library.
Master’s degree in Library Science, or Library and Information Science (MLS/MLIS) from a graduate program accredited by the American Library Association preferred.
Prior work experience in a public library
• Supervises all aspects of adult outreach services and adult programming.
• Creates and develops programs and activities for adults ages 21 and older.
• Compiles and maintains monthly statistics for Adult programming and services.
• Manages the expenditures of adult programming supplies and performers.
• Maintains an awareness of developments in the library services to adults by reading professional literature, attending conferences, workshops, and other training sessions and incorporates the new developments into the Library’s services
• Selects materials to add to the Library collection based on varied criteria and methods of evaluation under the direction of the Library Director.
• Supervises collection maintenance of adult library materials.
• Participates in service programs, publicity, public relations and staff development activities.
• Maintains knowledge of the job duties of Library Assistants and participates in their work as needed by working the circulation counter and reading shelves.
• Answers Library users' reference questions, in person and on the telephone, using materials in a variety of formats (such as books, periodicals, newspapers, microfilm, indices or electronic media).
• Provides reader's advisory services for Library users.
• Interprets Library policies and procedures for Library users in a customer-responsive manner.
• Other duties as assigned by the Library Director.
Duties are performed indoors in an office environment and require extended periods of standing, walking, sitting, talking and hearing with occasional periods of climbing or balancing, the pulling, pushing, lifting or carrying of items, keyboarding, reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling. Weights up to 50 pounds are encountered. Vision requirements include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The Adult Librarian must be able to read materials and receive verbal instructions requiring complex interpretation.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references via email to [email protected] or by mail to Belmont County District Library, Attn Director, 20 James Wright Place, Martins Ferry OH 43935.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Posted On: Jan 18, 2023 / This posting expires: Mar 1, 2023