Branch Library Manager
Organization:Dayton Metro Library
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program, minimum of three to five years of increasingly responsible experience in a public library setting at a professional level, and supervisory experience preferred.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.
- Ability to plan, schedule, and oversee branch operations and personnel.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, theories, concepts, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge and appreciation of literature, periodicals, web sites, social media, and other electronic media which constitute a diverse, current and relevant collection.
- Ability to model a competent and complete search strategy using both print and non-print information resources. Knowledge of available and emerging technologies and their application to library services.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with community officials, leaders, organizations, the public and the staff. Ability to present information and respond to questions from staff, patrons, and members of the community individually and in a group setting. Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Ability to develop programs and services to meet community needs.
- Ability to prepare and administer budgets.
- Fluency with personal electronic devices and library virtual materials required.
- Schedule includes day, evening, and Saturday hours.
The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a full-time Branch Library Manager for our Kettering-Moraine Branch Library. This branch was extensively renovated, re-opening to the public in October, 2016. It offers designated areas for children and teens, several meeting rooms, as well as a quiet room for those who need to focus. The successful candidate will find a dynamic, top-notch team awaiting them. We are looking for a manager who is interested in continuing the tradition of excellence in service that this branch offers as well as one who is skilled at developing connections in the community. Join our team today!
- Establishes and implements goals and objectives for branch service that support the Library’s Mission.
- Directs all branch services such as reference assistance, readers’ advisory, outreach, circulation, and programming.
- Directly hires, manages, evaluates, and schedules employees in assigned branch. Oversees branch volunteers. Serves as liaison between Administration and branch staff. Communicates with administrative team on policy, patron, and staffing issues.
- Ensures the efficient, effective, customer service oriented delivery of services to branch Library patrons. Maintains a current knowledge of Library operations, policies, and procedures. Demonstrates and models excellent internal and external customer service. Maintains frequent personal presence in public areas to ensure outstanding service.
- Manages branch collections and oversees evaluation and processing of donated materials. Collaborates with Collection Development to ensure the collection is responsive to community’s information, recreational, and educational needs. Arranges for repair, cancellation, or redistribution of materials as needed.
- Promotes community awareness of the Library and establishes effective communication with community groups, organizations, and individuals.
- Prepares annual budget requests and submits quarterly, topical, and other reports as requested.
- Answers patrons’ reference questions and assists patrons in selecting and locating materials. Assists patrons in the use of computers, personal electronic devices, and library virtual materials.
- Monitors branch facility needs, initiates maintenance and repair of branch building, equipment, and grounds in cooperation with the Facilities Manager.
- Maintains a safe and secure facility for staff and patrons in conjunction with the Security Manager.
- Implements Library policies and procedures at the branch level. Participates in policy revision and in the formulation of policies and procedures. Interprets Library policies to staff and patrons with a patron-responsive management perspective.
- Assists with system-wide decision making through consistent information sharing, regular attendance at Managers’ and Public Services Managers’ meetings and service on at least one DML committee.
For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 17, 2020.