Organization:Dayton Metro Library
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (preferred) or its equivalent in education and experience required.
- Thorough knowledge of professional cataloging rules, principles, methods, techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of Dewey Decimal classifications, OCLC cataloging system, and ANSCR, DDC and LC subject headings required.
- Ability to use Internet and other electronic resources. Ability to use e-mail, spreadsheet, and word processing software.
- Ability to learn integrated library system functions used in carrying out job duties. Ability to operate in a network environment. General knowledge of PC equipment required.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret cataloging records, and policy and procedure manuals. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions. Ability to apply active listening skills.
- Able to work while sitting at a computer for long periods of time.
- Typical work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:00 to 5:00.
The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a full-time, detail-oriented Catalog Librarian to join our Cataloging team. This Librarian will be one of three full-time Catalog Librarians on staff and should possess knowledge of professional cataloging rules, Dewey Decimal classifications, the OCLC cataloging system, and ANSCR, DDC and LC subject headings. The ideal candidate will be very self-directed, skilled in decision making, and be able to accomplish their work according to set standards with no errors. If this sounds like your dream job, apply today!
- Performs original or copy cataloging for the Dayton Metro Library’s (DML) and its affiliates’ collections using current national and local standard practices on OCLC’s WorldCat database.
- Classifies new library materials using Dewey Decimal, ANSCR and local classification schemes.
- Assigns classification to material and verifies item record information. Will be expected to complete 5 to 6 titles of copy cataloging per hour or one title that needs original cataloging (using OCLC Worldcat) with no errors.
- Performs authority work in conjunction with copy or original work. May contribute to national cooperative programs or standards as time allows.
- Participates in database quality control projects and assists in the maintenance of local online authority file.
- Proofreads MARC records and call numbers.
- Assists in maintaining local documentation of Dayton Metro Library’s cataloging practices and serves as a resource for copy catalogers.
- Provides training for new Cataloging staff members.
- Assists in maintaining URLs for the library’s electronic collections.
- Deducts OCLC holdings for Serial MARC records, as directed.
- Assists in maintaining weekly statistics.
- Participates in special cataloging or database clean-up projects.
For first consideration, please send your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at email@example.com by September 24, 2019.