Children Services Librarian
About this Job
The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a second full-time (40 hours per week) Children Services Librarian for the Main Library. The ideal candidate will team up with the other Children Services Librarian at this location to offer creative programming, including story times, for children in grades K-6 as well as outreach to local schools, day care centers, etc. The ideal candidate will be a customer-service minded individual who is ready to help patrons use our largest urban location and its services. If you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and are eager to make a difference in the lives of our community members, we want to hear from you! Join our team today!
Why Dayton? From the community’s vast outdoor recreation opportunities to its wide variety of housing choices, to abundant amenities usually found in much larger cities, no matter what your interests, you can build a life filled with purpose, opportunity and joy.
The City of Dayton was recently designated the first official “Welcoming City,” but our region’s efforts to embrace newcomers extends beyond the title. Vast immigrant resources, a vibrant LGBTQIA network, and supportive young professional organizations ensure that there is a welcome spot for everyone.
Experience all four seasons at hundreds of parks spanning tens of thousands of acres. Hike, bike, camp and explore in the destination National Geographic called the “Outdoor Adventure Capital in the Midwest.” Dayton Dragon’s, Cincinnati Reds Single A affiliate great collegiate sports keep sports fan busy. All this, plus a great location nestled just an hour from Cincinnati or Columbus, if you seek a change of scenery.
By joining Dayton Metro Library, you’ll benefit from the strength of a metro system, while enjoying the friendliness and accessibility of a neighborhood branch library.
Essential Job Duties
• Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Creates a welcoming atmosphere in the Children’s area through personal presence and area’s design.
• Provides all library users with assistance in reference, readers’ advisory, information literacy, and in the use of library materials and reference resources (all formats). Serves at the Ask Me Desk and in a roaming capacity.
• Assists patrons in finding and selecting library materials and in the use of the public computers, personal electronic devices, and library virtual materials.
• Provides work guidance in the absence of the Manager and/or appointed person in charge.
• Designs, promotes, presents, and evaluates children’s programs and activities that address community needs and incorporates library resources.
• Provides service and maintains liaisons with schools, community organizations, (e.g. preschools, daycare centers, head starts, etc.), government agencies, and other groups as appropriate. Provides library outreach programs and school visits that meet community needs.
• Maintains attractive appearance of the Children’s area in accordance with safety and ADA requirements. Creates displays to promote library use.
• Evaluates and suggests titles for purchase or replacement. Reevaluates and deselects materials which need to be cancelled, repaired, replaced, or redistributed.
• Submits required reports and budget requests. May serve on library committees. Attends applicable department meetings. Assists with system-wide programs, activities, and initiatives.
• Assists with the daily operations of the service desks, including opening and closing duties.
• Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science (preferred) or its equivalent in education and experience is required.
• Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.
• Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures.
• Knowledge and appreciation of children’s literature, periodicals, audio-visual materials, web sites, social media and other electronic media, and materials. Knowledge of available children’s materials and readers’ interests.
• Ability to plan and implement programs and services to support early childhood learning initiatives.
• Ability to determine patron information needs. Ability to construct a competent and complete search strategy using both print and non-print information resources.
• Knowledge of available and emerging technologies and their application to children’s services.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret reference resources, general business periodicals, professional journals, policy and procedure manuals and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, book reviews, readers’ advisory materials and business correspondence.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from children, parents, teachers, patrons, managers, coworkers and members of the community. Ability to apply active listening skills.
• Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
• Schedule includes day time, evening and Saturday hours.
The Dayton Metro Library is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
DML is committed to cultivating inclusive environments and a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply, in addition to members from other marginalized groups.
Additional consideration may be given to individuals that are fluent in any non-English languages spoken in Montgomery County including Spanish, Mandarin, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Tagalog, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Turkish and Swahili.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at care[email protected]. This position is open until filled.
Posted On: Jan 27, 2022 / This posting expires: Mar 1, 2022