Children Services Librarian
Organization:Dayton Metro Library
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science (preferred) or its equivalent in education and experience is required.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge and appreciation of children’s literature, periodicals, audio-visual materials, web sites, social media and other electronic media, and materials. Knowledge of available children’s materials and readers’ interests.
- Ability to plan and implement programs and services to support early childhood learning initiatives.
- Ability to determine patron information needs. Ability to construct a competent and complete search strategy using both print and non-print information resources.
- Knowledge of available and emerging technologies and their application to children’s services.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret reference resources, general business periodicals, professional journals, policy and procedure manuals and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, book reviews, readers’ advisory materials and business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from children, parents, teachers, patrons, managers, coworkers and members of the community. Ability to apply active listening skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Schedule includes day time, evening and Saturday hours.
The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Dayton Metro Library is seeking an additional full-time Children Services Librarian for our busy Miamisburg Branch! The ideal candidate will be prepared to offer creative programming (which will include story times) for children in grades K-6 as well as outreach to local schools, day care centers, etc. This newer branch (opened in February, 2017) features a puppet theater for marionette puppet shows, dedicated children’s and teen spaces, and a host of meeting rooms. This branch, in particular, has a very busy schedule of children’s programming. If you are customer-service focused, enjoy recommending books, music and movies to youth, and are eager to make a difference in the lives of our community members, we want to hear from you! Join our team today!
- Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Creates a welcoming atmosphere in the Children’s area through personal presence and area’s design.
- Provides all library users with assistance in reference, readers’ advisory, information literacy, and in the use of library materials and reference resources (all formats). Serves at the Ask Me Desk and in a roaming capacity.
- Assists patrons in finding and selecting library materials and in the use of the public computers, personal electronic devices, and library virtual materials.
- Provides work guidance in the absence of the Manager and/or appointed person in charge.
- Designs, promotes, presents, and evaluates children’s programs and activities that address community needs and incorporates library resources.
- Provides service and maintains liaisons with schools, community organizations, (e.g. preschools, daycare centers, head starts, etc.), government agencies, and other groups as appropriate. Provides library outreach programs and school visits that meet community needs.
- Maintains attractive appearance of the Children’s area in accordance with safety and ADA requirements. Creates displays to promote library use.
- Evaluates and suggests titles for purchase or replacement. Reevaluates and deselects materials which need to be cancelled, repaired, replaced, or redistributed.
- Submits required reports and budget requests. May serve on library committees. Attends applicable department meetings. Assists with system-wide programs, activities, and initiatives.
- Assists with the daily operations of the service desks, including opening and closing duties.
For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 14, 2020.