Children Services Librarian
Organization:Dayton Metro Library
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science (preferred) or its equivalent in education and experience is required.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge and appreciation of children’s literature, periodicals, audio-visual materials, web sites, social media and other electronic media, and materials. Knowledge of available children’s materials and readers’ interests.
- Knowledge of available and emerging technologies and their application to children’s services.
- Schedule includes day time, evening and Saturday hours.
The Dayton Metro Library is recruiting a full-time Children Services Librarian for the Belmont Branch Library. The staff of the Belmont Branch will join the East Branch staff in forming our brand new Southeast Branch Library, which will open in 2019. This position reports to the Branch Library Manager and may occasionally serve as the person-in-charge. The successful candidate will be expected to collaborate with the Children Services Librarian at the East Branch to offer a variety of programs for children from birth to age 12 in the Southeast Branch’s service area. The ideal candidate will embrace change and be prepared to engage our youth in the community as we prepare to open this amazing facility. Join our team today!
- Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Creates a welcoming atmosphere in the Children’s area through personal presence and area’s design.
- Provides all library users with assistance in reference, readers’ advisory, information literacy, and in the use of library materials and reference resources (all formats). Serves at the Ask Me Desk and in a roaming capacity.
- Assists patrons in finding and selecting library materials and in the use of the public computers, personal electronic devices, and library virtual materials.
- Provides work guidance in the absence of the Manager and/or appointed person in charge.
- Designs, promotes, presents, and evaluates children’s programs and activities that address community needs and incorporates library resources.
- Provides service and maintains liaisons with schools, community organizations, (e.g. preschools, daycare centers, head starts, etc.), government agencies, and other groups as appropriate. Provides library outreach programs and school visits that meet community needs.
- Maintains attractive appearance of the Children’s area in accordance with safety and ADA requirements. Creates displays to promote library use.
- Evaluates and suggests titles for purchase or replacement. Reevaluates and deselects materials which need to be cancelled, repaired, replaced, or redistributed.
- Submits required reports and budget requests. May serve on library committees. Attends applicable department meetings. Assists with system-wide programs, activities, and initiatives.
- Assists with the daily operations of the service desks, including opening and closing duties.
For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at email@example.com by December 7, 2018.