Children’s Services Manager
About this Job
The Tuscarawas County Public Library System has an immediate opening for a motivated and innovative leader to join its administrative team as the Children’s Services Manager. The individual will manage the staff, programs, and services of its Main library’s children’s department, which serves children 0-12, as well as the parents, caregivers, educators, and other adults who work with children. The individual will actively participate on the library’s management team as it develops and implements system-wide initiatives relevant to the library’s strategic plan.
Full Time Salary 40 hrs per week; some evenings and weekends required
Qualifications: Masters in Information and Library Science degree with at least two of the following: 1) coursework in youth services 2) three yrs experience working with children in a professional setting, 3) three yrs experience in a public library setting, or 4) two yrs experience managing people. Applicants with one year or less towards completion of the M.L.I.S will be considered.
Required Knowledge: Solid knowledge of children’s literature and current trends in library services for children ages 0-12 years and the adults who work with children; Excellent knowledge of social media and emerging technologies including digital formats; Proficiency with Microsoft applications
Required Skills: Self-motivation and ability to motivate staff; Ability to prioritize varied tasks; Ability to supervise others and to act independently; Ability to use evidence-based principles related to creating and implementing departmental budgets and departmental strategic plan; Ability to effectively network and represent the library to children, parents, educators, business, and community leaders; Willingness to be active in the Ohio Library Council including travel to trainings and meetings
Duties Include: The successful candidate will work closely with the Library’s Director and members of the management team in providing creative and innovative approaches to library services to children and families. Duties include but are not limited to the following:
· Oversees the main library’s children’s services; serves as a resource for branch children’s services operations
· Schedules, trains, coaches, mentors, and evaluates staff; delegates responsibility appropriately
· Plans and administers the children’s departmental budget; Identifies outside sources of funding and writes effective grant applications related to children’s materials and services
· Represents the library and children’s services in the community; Develops cooperative relationships, forges partnerships, and actively networks in the community
· Makes recommendations for collection development and coordinates creative merchandising of the children’s collections and resources
· Plans and directs departmental programming in conjunction with administrative goals and objectives, sound child development principles, current educational practices, emerging technologies, and popular youth trends
· Establishes programs and services for parents, individuals, agencies and other professionals who work with children in the community
· Evaluates services, recommends policies, establishes departmental goals, plans improvements, and delegates duties based upon the library’s strategic
· Provides input to the library’s management team regarding youth services and advocates for a child’s right to access library materials and services
· Demonstrates a positive attitude and supports library goals and objectives.
Benefits: thirteen paid holidays, vacation and sick leave; Ohio Public Employees Retirement System; health and life insurance; option to participate in flexible spending account and Ohio Deferred Compensation; paid OLC membership and strong commitment to continued professional development
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Applications will be reviewed as received; the position will be open until filled. Interested persons should submit a completed TCPL job application (available at www.tusclibrary.org), letter of interest, current resume, and 3 letters of recommendation to:
Jennifer Groff, Human Resources Specialist, Tuscarawas County Public Library System, 121 Fair Avenue NW, New Philadelphia, OH 44663
Posted On: Apr 4, 2022 / This posting expires: Jul 3, 2022