Department Manager Fine Arts/Special Collections
About this Job
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises staff including planning, directing the work, and evaluating performance.
- Hires, trains, and motivates staff.
- Plans and implements the delivery of public services.
- Manages complex collections of specialized library research material.
- Makes decisions regarding selection, transfer, and withdrawal of library materials including monitoring and making recommendations related to the collection development policy.
- Recommends staffing, budget, and equipment expenditures.
- Manages the Department library materials budget and is responsible for portions of the budget assigned to subordinates.
- Manages and implements the delivery of reference and research services.
- Performs public service including reference work consistent with RUSA guidelines, reader’s advisory, assisting patrons to find materials, use materials, and reserve materials, and facilitating computer use and the use of Library equipment.
- Promotes the use of the Library including developing collaborative relationships with individuals, community, and professional groups, attending community meetings, presenting programs, participating in speaking engagements, conducting Library tours and class visits, and facilitating discussion groups. Participates in community outreach activities and events.
- Prepares promotional material including flyers, booklists, and other informational materials. Interprets Library policy and procedure for the staff and public.
- Compiles and interprets statistics and produces narrative reports.
- Ensures compliance with the collective bargaining agreement in consultation with Human Resources. Coordinates Department activities with activities of other Library agencies.
- Works with various Library Departments to ensure that facilities, equipment, and supplies are maintained, and the environment is safe and conducive for work.
Other Job Duties:
- May address special cataloging issues in collaboration with the Catalog Department.
- Participates in professional development and continuing education.
- May attend meetings, participate on committees, present workshops, and training.
- May perform select duties of other staff in their absence. Performs other duties as required.
- Master's Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA (American Library Association) accredited college or university.
- Advanced degree in the subject field of the Department or equivalent career experience.
- Seven years post MLS library experience including five years in reference and collection development
- Three years supervisory or lead worker experience in a union environment.
- Participation in professional organizations, activities, and continuing education
- Knowledge of Library theory, standards, and best practices.
- Knowledge of the subject field of the Department including the literature of the field.
- Knowledge of the Library’s bibliographic software.
- Ability to perform complex research including knowledge of electronic resources.
- Knowledge of preservation theory and practice including digitization and electronic resource creation.
- Ability to manage multiple Departmental projects, as well as smaller, short-term projects on a concurrent basis.
- Ability to plan and implement services.
- Ability to plan and direct the work of others and to evaluate performance.
- Ability to train and motivate staff.
- Ability to manage a budget.
- Ability to interpret statistical information.
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships with community groups.
- Ability to plan and implement programming.
- Ability to demonstrate presentation skills both oral and written.
- Knowledge of a foreign language as specified in the position vacancy posting.
- Knowledge of business mathematics and business English including spelling and grammar, and the ability to proofread.
- Ability to adapt to new and updated software and procedures.
- Ability to demonstrate advanced computer skills including the use of MS Windows, word processing, spreadsheet processing, electronic communication, database management, and Internet browsing.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
If you experience issues with our website please send your resume and cover letter to the email address supplied.
Posted On: Aug 24, 2021 / This posting expires: Sep 15, 2021