Deputy Fiscal Officer
Organization:Washington Centerville Public Library
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of government accounting principles, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of the application of data processing techniques in the maintenance of accounting records.
- Knowledge of the Civica/CMI finance and payroll applications a plus.
- Knowledge of Federal and Ohio law relating to the financial management, payroll and the investment of public funds preferred.
- Experience with developing budgets and long-range projections.
- Demonstrated strong supervisory skills, knowledge of supervisory methods and techniques.
- Effective interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Competent in the use of Windows-based computer programs.
- Proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet programs required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in Accounting or Finance is required.
- Five years of directly related professional experience.
- Certification and bonding as required by law.
Physical and Environmental working Conditions:
- Work is performed in an office-like setting, but with need for considerable mobility to include walking, bending, sitting, stooping, and lifting up to 20 pounds.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to perform general typing and computer skills.
- Calm and focused handling of interruptions and distractions.
- Periodic intense concentration and sustained viewing of a computer monitor.
- Must be able to work evenings or weekends as required.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Manages the day-to-day financial operations of the Library, providing a high level of customer service to staff and vendors. Reports to the Fiscal Officer of the Library Board of Trustees and works closely on a daily basis with the Director to ensure that all financial operations comply with statutes of the State of Ohio, state auditing requirements, federal and local laws, sound financial practices and the policies and decisions of the Board of Trustees. Serves as a member of the Operations Team.
PRIMARY Essential Functions:
- Plans, directs, executes and evaluates all the financial operations, activities and objectives of the library to ensure sound fiscal controls.
- Recommends fiscal and operational policies as well as advises Board of Trustees and Library Director on fiscal matters; prepares formal Board documents and resolutions in conjunction with the Library Director; provides additional financial reports as requested; works with the Board of Trustees and Library Director on financial information for levy campaigns.
- Manages the library’s financial and payroll automated systems. Includes oversight of all aspects of payroll, purchasing, accounts payable, revenue and expenditures.
- Effectively communicates the library’s financial picture to the Library Director, Board, staff, residents and patrons.
- Supervises, coaches, develops and evaluates assigned staff. Delegates appropriate tasks and responsibilities to assigned staff in order to ensure the smooth operations of the department.
- Responsible for maintaining the appropriate commercial library insurance coverage, the financial disaster recovery plan, the e-Commerce program, the annual budget and appropriations processes including the long- term budgetary plan, the Request for Proposal process and the biennium audit.
- Ensures adequate cash flow to meet the library’s needs.
- Ensures the library complies with legal and regulatory requirements; reviews and negotiates contracts.
- Monitors major revenue sources and reports variances to the Director and Library Board.
- Develops, evaluates and implements appropriate internal control procedures.
- Serves as a member of the library’s Public Record Commission. Provides leadership to assigned staff to ensure that library record keeping meets requirements of policy and state law.
- Attends Library Board meetings and appropriate committee meetings. Takes minutes and maintains the official copy of all Board actions and related documents. Serves as liaison to the Finance Committee.
- Keeps abreast of current trends and new professional techniques; participates in activities of professional and related organizations.
- Represents the Library at the Montgomery County Budget Commission hearing, attends Ohio Library Council Legislative Day, if requested.
- Follows library safety and emergency policies and procedures.
- Reports maintenance and safety issues to supervisor and/or Facilities personnel.
- Supports special projects as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To be considered for this position, please submit cover letter, resume, WCPL application and contact information for three professional employment references to:
Washington-Centerville Public Library
111 W. Spring Valley Road
Centerville, OH 45458
or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- WCPL application can be found at www.wclibrary.info/employment
- Deadline to apply: February 8, 2019
An offer of employment will be contingent upon the candidate successfully completing a Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) fingerprint check as well as credit reporting check.