DIRECTOR, ADVANCEMENT & COMMUNITY RELATIONS
Organization:Bexley Public Library
1. Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, communications, or a related field, at least one year working in an advancement/development function, and a minimum of four (4) years of experience in public relations, marketing, or a related field. An equivalent combination of these knowledge, skills, and experience will be considered.
2. Positive attitude and ability to maintain composure and professionalism under pressure.
3. High degree of sensitivity to accuracy, deadlines, and confidentiality of records and information.
4. Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
5. Project management experience, including management of plans, outcomes, and budget.
6. Ability to define problems, collect and evaluate relevant data, and draw valid conclusions.
7. Demonstrated excellence in written, verbal, and presentation communication skills.
8. Proficiency in use of desktop publishing software, e.g. InDesign; advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends, as needed.
The Bexley Public Library has a great value proposition to demonstrate and communicate to the community and central Ohio. Our progressive library is seeking a Director of Advancement and Community Relations who can bring their passion for marketing and development and work with a team that comes to work every day with innovative ideas and compassion for the needs of our patrons. You will work in a highly collaborative environment and develop enduring relationships in one of the best communities in central Ohio. Starting salary is $61,400, but will be determined based on experience.
Under the direction of the Library Director, this position serves as a member of the leadership team and is responsible for the Library’s marketing and advancement initiatives. This includes, but is not limited to, marketing and communications, public relations, fund development and grant writing, digital presence, brand initiatives, community partnerships and outreach.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- In partnership with the Director, develops Community Relations goals and coordinates the work in an ongoing campaign to communicate the library’s value to the community. Work is aligned to the stated goals and mission of the Bexley Library.
- Serves as a key member of the leadership team. May oversee operations in the absence of the Director and/or Assistant Director. Attends and updates the Board of Trustee on plans and activities during monthly board meetings.
- Develops, coordinates, and implements innovative internal and external marketing and communications strategies. Delegates and partners with other departments on implementation of activities.
- Oversees design and printing of library publications and promotional materials, including quarterly program guides and the library’s Annual Report to the community.
- Responsible for the library’s annual fund development initiatives in collaboration with the Director. Responsible for all donor stewardship and maintaining accurate donor records. Actively seeks to build the library’s donor base and steward donors towards major and planned gifts. Actively seeks and provides support for alternative funding sources for library programs and events in collaboration with library staff, e.g. program grants.
- Responsible for the library’s Bexley Community Author Series, including author selection, sponsorships, logistics, marketing, and ticket sales. Works in coordination with other staff to accomplish this annual author event.
- Serves as a member of the program oversight committee and works with appropriate public service staff on the promotion of all library programs and events.
- Oversees the overall design and branding of website and social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) presence in conjunction with appropriate staff.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with residents, government officials, donors, community leaders, community organizations, other libraries, and the local print and broadcast media.
- Serves as key liaison with the Friends of the Bexley Public Library and attends monthly board meetings. Actively participates in at least one community organization or project in an ongoing basis.
- Responsible for all library communications to the public related to the Ohio Public Records Act. May advocate at the State and local level for library goals and objectives with the Director.
- Responds to patron questions and situations in accordance with library policy and in a manner to enhance the reputation of the library as a public service organization.
- Provides written and verbal reports on both routine and special projects; may draft communications for the Director; may lead ad hoc task forces and committees.