Director of Strategic Marketing and Communications
Organization:The Ohio State Universtiy
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business or other discipline related to the marketing field of practice or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Seven to ten years of relevant experience in brand management and strategic marketing.
- Demonstrated experience in translating insights into sound omni-channel marketing strategies and integrated marketing plans in alignment with organizational goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to combine strategic thinking with creative writing and effective tactical execution
- Previous experience in audience segmentation, brand positioning, and messaging development.
- Proven ability to be creative in identifying and executing media opportunities as well as managing successful social media campaigns across varying platforms based on channel preferences.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
- Master’s degree in marketing, communications, business or other related area.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and innovatively in a collaborative and complex environment that has multiple stakeholder audiences.
- Ability to work comfortably with ambiguity, to progress multiple priorities/projects simultaneously and flexibility to accommodate shifting priorities.
- Proven ability and success in leading, developing and supervising a team.
- Experience in higher education marketing and knowledge of alumni relations and/or fundraising marketing.
Discover The Ohio State University:
For 148 years, The Ohio State University's campus in Columbus has been the stage for academic achievement and a laboratory for innovation. It's where friendships are forged. It's where rivalries and revelry are born.
The University's main campus is one of America's largest and most comprehensive. As Ohio's best and one of the nation's top-20 public universities, Ohio State is further recognized by a top-rated academic medical center and a premier cancer hospital and research center. As a land-grant university, Ohio State has a physical presence throughout the state, with campuses and research centers located around Ohio.
University Libraries promotes innovative research and creative expression, advances effective teaching, curates and preserves information essential for scholarship and learning at Ohio State, and shares knowledge and culture with the people of Ohio, the nation, and the world. Our libraries provide access to deep research collections, an extensive offering of online resources available anytime anywhere, and special collections of exceptional quality and distinction. University Libraries participates actively in OhioLINK and Big Ten Academic Alliance. The Ohio State University Libraries is proud to be a member of ACRL’s Diversity Alliance. Additional information about The Ohio State University Libraries is available at http://library.osu.edu.
The Ohio State University Libraries, one of the nation’s leading academic research libraries, has proudly served Buckeyes, the local community, national and global partners and other stakeholders for generations. Pairing a rich heritage with a drive to constantly push the boundaries of the modern academic research library, our organization is simultaneously grounded and visionary. As University Libraries continues to propel forward and deliver on our mission, we are seeking a dynamic thought leader experienced in strategic marketing and brand management to join our team.
Reporting to University Libraries’ Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director of Strategic Marketing and Communications (DSMC) will lead the development and execution of modern marketing and communication strategies that align with University Libraries mission and effectively advance our strategic agenda. We seek a candidate who will innovatively and collaboratively lead organizational efforts around strategic marketing and sub-brand strategy, content strategy and execution, media relations, public awareness, communications strategy and integrated omni-channel planning, campaigns and analytics including but not limited to: website, social media, digital platforms, print and graphic media, multimedia.
The DSMC will develop a deep understanding of our audiences to create marketing initiatives that optimize the dissemination and impact of key messages, by audience, working collaboratively across the whole of University Libraries and in partnership with University Marketing to ensure consistency and brand alignment. They will act as a brand steward and strategic marketing champion for University Libraries bringing to life user-centric strategies, marketing plans and experiences that drive awareness, engagement and choice with key audiences.
This professional will work closely with the University Libraries Executive Committee, OSUL department heads, our Development Officer and key stakeholders to create and execute comprehensive plans that tell our story, that promote our organization’s programs, services, and outreach and further build on the momentum created by the recent release of our strategic directions (https://library.osu.edu/strategic-directions), the University’s Strategic Plan (https://president.osu.edu/strategicplan/) and the President’s 2020 vision. This professional will lead efforts to effectively communicate our authentic value proposition and elucidate how our people, places, collections and services align with and support the needs of our users, create impactful outcomes, and contribute to the successful achievement of our goals and that of the broader university. The DSMC will be a visionary strategist, strong project manager, and expert writer across traditional, web and multi-media platforms. The selected candidate will lead and continuously develop a staff currently sized at three.
Select Areas of Focus:
- In concert with the Vice Provost and Director of University Libraries and the CAO, provide leadership and direction for all aspects of OSUL’s marketing and communications.
- Develop initiatives to advance the relevance, resonance and distinctiveness of the University Libraries brand by leveraging disciplined and modern marketing practices that measurably grow and deepen audience perceptions, including their understanding of our value proposition; Create approaches to effectively communicate the breadth and depth of the people, services and resources available to users.
- Uncover and synthesize the story threads of faculty, staff, student and stakeholder achievements and highlight the impact of the Libraries partnership in those achievements.
- Drive editorial strategy and content development; formally and informally lead a team of content creators to leverage consistency across all channels (web, digital, social and print) and adherence to core messaging, voice, style, tone and guidelines along with educating and advising on channel placement; provide key support, knowledge, training, and tools to departments within the Libraries to address local marketing and communications needs.
- Build out the existing University Libraries messaging strategy framework to shape alignment and create shared understanding on how to effectively and impactfully communicate with different audiences and personas; develop key messages to support and differentiate the Libraries and its units/departments.
- Represents University Libraries at appropriate university-level functions and develops collaborative working relationships with marketing, communications, advancement/development, student, and alumni engagement professionals across the university. Engage with consortial partners, including OhioLINK, Big Ten Academic Alliance and others to leverage industry best practice and advance the reputation of University Libraries among peers.
- Other related responsibilities, as required.
Please apply online at https://www.jobsatosu.com/postings/87580 from June 23, 2018 through July 15, 2018.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.