Electronic Resources Access Librarian
About this Job
Reporting to the Head of Acquisitions & Collections Services, the Electronic Resources Access Librarian will support Ohio University teaching, learning, and research activities by effectively managing the life cycle of the Libraries’ electronic resources collections, which include databases, online journals, ebooks, and streaming content. Managing e-resources includes overseeing and participating in the investigation, purchase, evaluation, and maintenance of electronic resources for Libraries’ subscribed and purchased content.
Specifically, the Electronic Resources Access Librarian:
* Organizes, participates in and oversees processes for the acquisition, renewal, and cancellation of electronic resources; communicates changes in collections to relevant internal stakeholders
* Maintains seamless access to electronic resource collections by actively managing access points available online through the Libraries; serves as the primary administrator for the Libraries’ instance of EBSCO Discovery Service; oversees updates to MARC record service system; manages database listing in coordination with subject liaisons
* Oversees management and integration of third-party services enabling full-text linking
* Without direct supervisory responsibility, oversees and guides the work of up to two staff members who assist with managing electronic resources, including troubleshooting, arranging trials, and access maintenance
* Updates locally hosted proxy server configuration to facilitate user authentication
* Participates in negotiating license agreements with vendors that meet with university requirements, improve equity of access for users, and comply with state law
* Organizes the process for gathering, analyzing, and presenting data to stakeholders for evaluation of electronic resource subscription decisions; uses tools and systems utilizing the SUSHI protocol to gather COUNTER usage reports; provides data and analysis to stakeholders within the library, including usage statistics, cost-per-use calculations, and title overlap analysis
* Collaborates with departmental staff in developing and recommending policies and procedures to gain efficiencies, maximize the effectiveness of processes, and ensure seamless access to electronic resources
* Participates in interdepartmental teams to manage projects and develop new methods of acquiring and maintaining electronic resources
* Maintains awareness of emerging trends and technologies for managing electronic resources; engages in regular professional development through research, publications, presentations, and participation in regional and national associations as part of the continuing commitment to bring best practices and innovative services to the Ohio University Libraries
Salary is commensurate with experience and education
* A Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (MLIS) from an ALA-accredited institution by the negotiated start date.
* Minimum of one year of related experience
* Demonstrated user-centered approach in providing access to electronic resources
* Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
* Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
* Demonstrated ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively and to promote teamwork, diversity, equality, and inclusiveness within Ohio University Libraries and the campus
* Familiarity with a variety of publishing and access models, e.g. open access, traditional publishing, streaming media licensing, demand-driven acquisition, etc
* Experience managing and updating a library discovery service and full-text linking services, e.g. link resolvers, LibKey products, etc
* Familiarity with COUNTER 5 usage data and SUSHI data retrieval protocol
* Demonstrated ability to negotiate license agreements with vendors
* Experience managing and troubleshooting proxy access software, e.g. EZproxy
* Demonstrated ability to set priorities and exercise flexibility working with multiple assignments in a fast paced environment.
* Experience working in a unionized environment
Ohio University is committed to creating a respectful and inclusive educational and workplace environment. Ohio University is an equal access/equal opportunity and affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. Women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Ohio University Libraries embraces a culture of connection, empowerment and sustainability. Within the university, the Libraries is a catalyst for research, creativity, student success, and transformation.
Ohio University was chartered by the state of Ohio in 1804 and is the oldest university in the Northwest Territory. Located in the scenic Appalachian foothills of southeastern Ohio, its classic residential campus is one of the most attractive in the nation. The charm of tree-lined brick walkways on the university’s College Green makes you feel as if you are at a small college rather than a large university. One can walk between most campus buildings within about 10 minutes. It is possible to live a mile away from the university buildings in a residential neighborhood and walk to work, or to live on a farm within a 20 minute drive. The city of Athens is surrounded by a patchwork of hardwood forests that constitute the Wayne National Forest. With nearly 23,000 students on the Athens campus and close to 7,500 students on five regional campuses, the University offers a diverse, dynamic, and collegial atmosphere to students, faculty, and staff.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Ohio University employees enjoy a generous benefits package including, but not limited to, medical, dental, vision, short term disability, life insurance, retirement benefits, educational benefits for themselves and qualified dependents, domestic partner benefits, parental leave, adoption benefits, paid time off, and access to professional development programs. More detailed plan information can be found at www.ohio.edu/hr/benefits
Ohio University proudly offers flextime in addition to flexplace in support of our employees and such arrangements will be negotiated at time of offer.
Posted On: Mar 17, 2022 / This posting expires: Mar 29, 2022