About this Job
As the chief executive officer of the Library, the Executive Director plans, organizes, directs, evaluates, and reviews the Library’s resources, personnel, facilities, services, and programs to assure the Library provides opportunities for lifelong learning to each resident of Rowan County. The Executive Director operates under the direction of the RCPL Board of Trustees. The Executive Director hires and supervises staff, develops and monitors budget resources, and plans and implements Library goals, objectives, and services.
General Duties and Responsibilities
• Attends all Library Board meetings, providing professional expertise and guidance to the members as needed.
• Manages the finances of the Library; monitors revenues and expenditures; and, develops annual budgets and long-range financial plans.
• Develops professional skills, knowledge, and abilities through reading and research, workshops, conferences, and professional affiliations. Analyzes and improves the Library’s public services, facilities, use of technology, and staff development. Informs the Library Board about current and developing library methods and trends.
• Develops and coordinates the implementation of major projects that impact Library operations and services.
• Directs and coordinates the development and maintenance of Library collections in all formats and allocates funds to ensure that the Library provides quality materials which meet the needs of the community. Stays abreast of publishing trends and continually evaluates local impact and interest through analysis of Library usage data.
• Coordinates Library outreach services and programs offered by the bookmobile and the outreach vehicle.
• Represents the Library to the community through participation in organizations, attendance of local civic and governmental meetings, and working to develop community partnerships.
• Directs and evaluates the work of the Assistant Director and the Department Heads. Indirectly supervises the work of the general staff. Coordinates and evaluates outsourced Library work.
• Cultivates a courteous customer-focused environment that is welcoming to the public both on site and through outreach services.
• Develops and recommends Library policies to the Board. Ensures that Library policies and procedures are implemented and followed. Assumes ultimate responsibility for administrative and procedural activity and/or emergencies.
• Maintains active membership in state and national library associations.
• Serves as a liaison to the RCPL Friends of the Library.
• Oversees the integration of current technologies in all library services and resources by keeping abreast of new technology related to library services
General Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The position requires a Master’s Degree and a broad knowledge of the principles and practices of librarianship. Essential skills include: managerial expertise; financial planning and analytical ability; ability to communicate with diverse groups; ability to analyze critical incidents and resolve conflict involving customers and/or staff; capability to manage facilities; initiative; awareness of need and vision to develop library services; and, skill in building and maintaining effective professional relationships with the Board, staff members, and community. Successful experience reporting to a governing body, ability to maximize space and resources, and identifying new services and technology resources are essential. In summary, the position requires the ability to continually identify and focus on future library services to meet the lifelong learning needs of the community and to move forward with plans and provision of those services.
• Master’s Degree in Library Science or a Master’s Degree plus 15 graduate hours of Library Science credits.
• Five (5) years of professional/managerial experience in a public library or comparable experience.
• Holds or qualifies for appropriate certification from the Kentucky Board for the Certification of Librarians.
The Executive Director is based in Morehead and will travel throughout the county as needed. Activities may occur outside the regular business day, including evenings and weekends. Normal physical activity is necessary, including bending, pushing, pulling, and carrying up to 45 pounds. Activities will include standing, sitting, walking, keyboarding, reading, speaking, and listening.
Rowan County Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. A pre-employment background check is required.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Please send a resume and cover letter, postmarked by 2/14/23, to:
Rowan County Library Executive Director
175 Beacon Hill Rd
Morehead, KY 40351
Or e-mail to: [email protected]
Projected Start Date 4/1/23
dditional information about how to apply, benefits, etc.
Posted On: Jan 20, 2023 / This posting expires: Feb 15, 2023