External Relations Manager
Organization:Dayton Metro Library
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university and a minimum of five years of increasingly responsible experience at a professional level with supervisory experience preferred.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.
- Ability to plan, schedule and oversee department operations and personnel. Skilled in writing, commercial art/graphic design, designing creative promotions, and media relations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the media and community organizations. Ability to prepare and administer budgets.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with community officials, leaders, organizations, the public, the media, and staff.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, policy and procedure manuals, and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence clearly and informatively.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from staff, patrons, members of the community, and members of the media individually and in a group setting. Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/ or challenging situations.
- Ability to use computer and standard office equipment. Ability to periodically drive vehicle.
- Ability to create and adhere to annual budget. Ability to develop and implement cost saving measures.
- Ability to use Internet and other electronic resources, e-mail, spreadsheet, database management, graphic design software, HTML, and office software. Ability to learn automated system functions used in carrying out job duties. Ability to operate in a network environment. General knowledge of PC equipment required.
The Dayton Metro Library is recruiting a full-time External Relations Manager. This position reports to the External Relations and Development Director and directly supervises five staff members. The ideal candidate will have experience in a fast-paced setting, managing multiple priorities for diverse audiences through marketing, public relations, and brand management.
- Aligns the goals and objectives for External Relations activities to support the Library’s Mission and Strategic Plan.
- Directly supervises and schedules department employees. Serves as liaison between the External Relations and Development Director and staff.
- Maximizes the departmental budget for the greatest impact.
- Represents system to the press and public by acting as a spokesperson. Fields and directs responses to all media-related inquiries, and engages DML subject matter experts as appropriate. Serves as liaison to the local media. Approves news releases and public service announcements. Develops and produces radio and television media campaigns promoting Library services.
- Develops ideas and opportunities for feature articles, interviews, presentations and other public relations activities that promote awareness of Library services.
- Oversees the development of digital and print publications for promotional materials.
- Provides information to Library patrons and responds to patrons' suggestions, complaints and questions.
- Oversees all social networking content; works with Social Media Committee to plan communications strategies.
- Provides guidance and input to maintain the DML web site as a vibrant and relevant representation of the system’s programs, activities and accomplishments.
- Assists with system-wide decision making through consistent information sharing, regular attendance at Managers’ meetings and service on committees.
- Implements Library policies and procedures at the department level. Participates in policy revision and in the formulation of policies and procedures. Interprets Library policies to staff with a patron-responsive management perspective.
For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 29, 2019.