Head of Collection Services
- Required: Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association (A.L.A.) accredited institution.
- Preferred: minimum three to five years academic library experience as a professional librarian.
- Preferred: minimum three years of collections responsibilities as a professional librarian.
- Preferred: minimum two years, including current responsibility, for supervision of one or more professional librarians.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently with outstanding organization and communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience of effective collaboration and communication with faculty.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage projects and meet established deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of technical services processes, including cataloging.
- Demonstrated budget management experience highly desired.
- Experience with Sierra will be of benefit.
Job Description: Xavier University seeks applicants to fill the vacancy for Head of Collection Services. Reporting to the Library Director, the successful candidate for this full time position (37.5 hours/week) will provide leadership and direction for collection development and management, including monographs, serials, standing orders, e-resources/databases, media, devise annual plan for budget expenditures, run reports and analyze collections and expenditures data (by format and source), work with vendors and other third party entities such as OhioLink to secure resources, and participate on the Electronic Resources Management team.
Position summary: Leads the Library’s collection development and management program. Guides the formulation, implementation and evaluation of all collections activities for all formats. Directs and analyzes collections assessment initiatives. Oversees Acquisitions, and Collection Management departments, including technical services. Participates in the provision of effective public service including reference, instruction, collection development and liaison responsibilities.
- Administration of library collection development and management program. Guides the formulation, implementation and evaluation of all collections activities for all formats. Directs and analyzes collections assessment initiatives. Provides assessments of collection space and projected growth for specific collections. Oversees collection weeding and collection updating. Coordinates the processing of damaged, missing and lost materials; recommends repair treatment and replacement orders for withdrawn materials.
- Administration of library materials budget. Allocates and monitors overall library materials budget. Provides and communicates allocations for academic department materials budgets. Coordinates the gathering of collection statistics and budget information for academic department accreditation and self-study reviews. Assists in coordination of liaison program for academic departments.
- Administration of orders and renewals. Approves firm orders and renewal of subscriptions in all formats. Reviews and approves new journal requests from faculty. Evaluates and responds to proposals for consortial purchases of electronic resources. Oversees the maintenance of database usage statistics files; coordinates database trials.
- Manages Collection Services which includes supervision of Acquisitions and Technical Services librarians. Serves on library leadership team.
- Serves as a member of the professional librarian team and the library liaison program: Provides excellent, thorough reference and research assistance; Provides consistent communication, outreach and promotion of library resources and services; Provides information fluency and information literacy training; Demonstrates proficiency in Core Competencies for Librarians at Xavier.
This is a full time position with full benefit package. To ensure consideration, interested/qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references on Xavier University’s website. Applications will be received through June 24, 2019 or until position is filled.
XAVIER UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER