Head of Youth Services, Assistant Manager
Organization:Geauga County Public Library
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
• Experience in monitoring materials budgets, book selection, and collection development with specialization in children’s and young adult materials and services
• Strong public service skills
• Ability to work with people of all ages including staff, volunteers, and the general public among them children, teens, parents/caregivers, educators and those who work with youth.
• Working knowledge of computers and software. Experience with electronic reference sources
• Advanced knowledge of children’s and young adult literature along with strong reader’s advisory skills
• Knowledge of the developmental needs and interests of youth.
• Ability to advocate for youth and those who work with youth Able to apply new technologies to enhance and promote the services of the department and the library
• Keeps up to date with innovations in the library field and how they will impact library services and collection development. All other qualifications required for Youth Services Assistants.
• Willingness and adaptability to work in a changing work environment.
Minimum Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
• ALA Accredited MLS/MLIS degree
• Has reliable transportation in order to meet work obligations.
• Able to use hands and fingers, grasp, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls – including computers, phones, and office equipment.
• Able to read computer screens and print materials
• This position requires alternate standing, sitting, and walking.
• Must be able to bend, reach, and have the ability to lift up to 40 pounds or more on occasion.
Position Summary: In addition to fulfilling responsibilities in the absence of the Library Manager, oversees all facets of youth services including staff training, collection development, weeding, and children’s programming. Provides direct reference service.
Essential Job Functions: This list is illustrative, but not exhaustive for this position.
• Coordinates all activities of the youth services department including proposing new services, programs and innovations then implementing those that are approved. Interviews, selects, trains and evaluates youth services staff. Sets annual departmental objectives in consultation with the library manager.
• Coordinates the development of youth programming.
• Assumes responsibility for the youth materials collection, print and electronic, including selection and weeding. Assures the youth materials budget is spent in a timely effective manner.
• Provides reference and readers advisory services for patrons of all ages.
• Assists the manager in administration, management and planning, and oversees the operation of the library in the manager’s absence.
• Markets library materials and services.
• Serves on various GCPL committees such as youth services. Continues professional development by attending workshops and seminars, and by participating in regional, state, and national organizations. Encourages professional development of staff by promoting workshops and conferences. Other duties as assigned
If interested provide: Resume, work references and Geauga County Public Library application.
Application available online at: http://divi.geaugalibrary.net/28458-2/career-opportunities/
Apply Online: GCPL.firstname.lastname@example.org
Geauga County Public Library – Administrative Center
12701 Ravenwood Drive, Chardon, OH 44024