Information Services Assistant
Organization:Dayton Metro Library
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university preferred; or one to two years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents such as policies and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively and apply active listening skills. Ability to communicate effectively when working with patrons, staff and members of the community.
- Ability to effectively provide one-on-one instruction and present public training sessions.
- Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Ability to develop and deliver programs and services to meet community needs.
- General knowledge of PC equipment required.
- Schedule includes day time, evening, and Saturday hours.
The Dayton Metro Library is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Dayton Metro Library is seeking two Information Services Assistants for our Youth Services areas (Children’s and Teen) of the Main Library in downtown Dayton, Ohio. Open since August 2017, the Main Library boasts a beautiful and engaging children's area complete with a fairy tale bridge and free play area. Technology offerings include the latest children's and teen gaming consoles, AWE game computers and tablets, and PCs and Macs for homework or internet browsing. The selected candidate will report to the Youth Services Manager and will be part of the Main Library’s Youth Services’ Team. The successful candidate will be experienced in developing age-appropriate programming as well as offering exceptional customer service to our patrons. We especially want to hear from you if you work well in a team setting, enjoy collaboration, and would love to spend every day working alongside a group of supportive, dedicated youth services professionals. If you have ever wanted to specialize in serving youth (infants through teens), now is your chance!
**Many features and amenities mentioned in the above paragraph are currently unavailable to patrons due to the pandemic.**
- Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Proactively provides assistance at all service points as needed.
- Provides library users with assistance in reference, readers’ advisory, and in the use of public computers, personal electronic devices and library virtual materials.
- Under the direction of the manager(s)/librarian(s), plans, develops and promotes programs and services to meet the informational and recreational needs of the community.
- Provides service and maintains liaisons with schools and community agencies.
- May serve with one or more specialty emphasis such as teen, children’s or adult services.
- Performs circulation responsibilities and related activities as needed.
- Assists with opening and closing duties.
- Under the direction of a manager, may assist with collection development activities such as redistribution, purchase suggestions or preliminary de-selection.
- May create displays to promote library use.
- Submits required reports and budget requests. May serve on library committees.
For first consideration, please send your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three employment references to email@example.com by January 5, 2021.