Information Services Librarian
Organization:Dayton Metro Library
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (preferred) or its equivalent in education and experience is required.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required. Ability to drive vehicle.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret reference resources, general business periodicals, professional journals, policy and procedure manuals and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, book reviews, readers' advisory materials and business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from patrons, managers, coworkers and members of the community. Ability to apply active listening skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures. Knowledge and appreciation of adult literature, periodicals, audiovisual materials, web sites, social media and other electronic media which constitute a diverse, current and relevant adult collection.
- Ability to determine patron information needs. Ability to construct a competent and complete search strategy using both print and non-print information resources.
- Knowledge of available and emerging technologies and their application to reference work.
- Ability to plan and implement programs and services to meet community needs.
- Ability to use Internet and other electronic reference resources. Ability to use e-mail, spreadsheet, and word processing software. Ability to learn integrated library system functions used in carrying out job duties. Ability to operate in a network environment.
- General knowledge of PC equipment required. Fluency with personal electronic devices and library virtual materials required.
- Schedule includes day time, evening and Saturday hours.
The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a full-time Information Services Librarian who will join the rest of the Information Services team at the Main Library in downtown Dayton. Our Main Library, which re-opened in August 2017 after significant renovation, serves as the flagship branch in the Dayton Metro Library system. It boasts numerous meeting spaces designed to meet the needs of our community. It has a quiet reading room, two technology labs, a green screen room, and dedicated spaces for children and teen visitors. The ideal candidate will be experienced in providing enhanced customer service to patrons. If you are an energetic and team-oriented librarian who enjoys working in an urban setting, join our team today!
- Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Creates a welcoming atmosphere in the public service areas through personal presence and area’s design.
- Provides all library users with assistance in reference, readers' advisory, information literacy, and in the use of library materials and reference resources (all formats). Serves at the Ask Me Desk, the Ask Me Line, and in a roaming capacity.
- Assists patrons in finding and selecting library materials and in the use of the public computers, personal electronic devices, and library virtual materials.
- Provides work guidance in the absence of the Manager and/or appointed person in charge.
- Designs, promotes, presents, and evaluates adult programs and activities that address community needs and incorporates library resources.
- Provides service and maintains liaisons with community organizations, government agencies, and other groups as appropriate. Provides library outreach programs that meet community needs.
- Maintains attractive appearance of the adult public service areas in accordance with safety and ADA requirements. Creates displays to promote library use.
- Evaluates and suggests titles for purchase or replacement. Reevaluates and deselects materials which need to be cancelled, repaired, replaced, or redistributed.
- Submits required reports and budget requests. May serve on library committees. Attends applicable department meetings. Assists with system-wide programs, activities, and initiatives.
- Performs special duties as assigned. Such duties may include, but are not limited to, indexing, compiling bibliographies, and assisting with opening and closing duties.
For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 21, 2019.