Information Services Manager
Organization:Ashtabula County District Library
Ashtabula County District Library (ACDL) is seeking a bright, passionate, and tech-savvy individual to lead a high-quality Information Services (Reference) Team of professional and paraprofessional librarians at the Ashtabula Public Library. Information Services provides day to day research, local history and Genealogy sleuthing, individualized tech help, and expert advice on how to use the equipment in our new Creative Corner. Information Services staff contribute to collection development efforts, group instruction and adult programming, participate in community collaborations, and introduce the e-entertainment and e-research databases to the community at large.
ACDL libraries are located in the heart of Ohio's wine country and are a short hike/bike ride from Lake Erie with its beautiful parks and beaches. Snow in the winter, beaches in the summer, and a low cost of living to boot. Come join us!
EQUIPMENT AND EFFORT REQUIRED: Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to communicate well with staff and guests. Sufficient vision to produce and review a wide variety of materials, written correspondence, reports and related material in both electronic and hard copy form. Sufficient mobility to move freely about in a library environment and to attend meetings and events at various locations both within and outside of the Library service area. Ability to operate equipment listed: telephones, fax, copier, microfilm (fiche), SirsiDynix library circulation automation system as well as personal computers with attached peripherals. Ability to change positions frequently from sitting at desk (50%) to walking the library floor in assisting patrons (50%). Ability to move items weighing 30 pounds in weight and push carts weighing up to 60 pounds. Ability to use and file items in cupboards/cabinet up to six feet in height.
ILLUSTRATIVE DUTIES (>95% of work time):
- Within a strong customer service environment, assists with requests for information including the locating of library materials, whether in person, via telephone and/or electronic means, including email and fax.
- Offer bibliographic and Internet instruction to patrons as needed.
- Coordinates collection development of adult print, audiovisual and electronic materials collections, and supervises the care and maintenance of the Ashtabula Library adult fiction, nonfiction, and reference collections, including State of Ohio documents and local history/genealogy/archive collections.
- Supervise all activities and services in the Information Services areas of the Ashtabula Library including genealogy/archives/local history collections.
- Reviews and makes recommendations in regards to technology-based reference sources including Internet and online databases.
- Contributes to the development, planning, and implementation of adult programming pertaining to Information Services.
- Maintains accurate department statistics and provides monthly report for submission to the Board of Trustees.
- Performs basic maintenance of Information Services equipment as well as ordering office/equipment supplies for the department.
- Keeps informed of current trends and new professional techniques through attendance at workshops and seminars.
- Keeps Branch Manager apprised of any problems, concerns, etc. regarding/affecting the Ashtabula Information Services Department and the Ashtabula Library in general.
- Coordinate resources with other departments to support demand for school projects, adult learning and general reader's advisory.
- Promotes information services in the community through assisting in library tours and the creation of bookmarks, flyers, newsletter, bibliographies, informational guides, etc.
- This job description is illustrative of the types of duties typically performed by this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of each and every essential function of the job. Because job content may change from time to time, the ACDL reserves the right to add and/or delete essential functions from this job at any time.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES (<5% of work time):
- Assist with original cataloging as needed.
- Work cooperatively with other staff to provide quality reference and information services to library patrons.
- Assists patrons with SirsiDynix online catalog and other library databases in a courteous, thorough manner.
- Researches and answers questions thoroughly, efficiently, and courteously.
- Demonstrates initiative, self-motivation, and enthusiasm for accomplishing work tasks and assignments.
- Exhibits thorough knowledge of library policies and procedures, the reference interview and online searching techniques.
- Demonstrates ability to ensure smooth operation of the Information Services Department including scheduling both information desks (Reference & Information Station).
- Keeps Branch Manager/Director informed of praises, opportunities, problems, developments, concerns, etc.
- Maintains accurate reference statistics.
- Ensures Information Services staff is trained to perform tasks professionally and efficiently, and to uphold exemplary customer service standards.
- Performs ongoing evaluation of the adult fiction, adult nonfiction, reference, audiovisual, and non-print collections and services, and supervises recommendations for purchases/withdrawals.
EVALUATION: To be performed annually by the immediate supervisor and will be based on the job description, observation, and review of work completed and results achieved and/or compliance with set objectives.
This position will remain open until filled. Those responding before October 15th, 2019 will receive first consideration.
Please submit resume and cover letter to:
Helena Richardson, Ashtabula Branch Manager
Ashtabula County District Library
4335 Park Ave
Ashtabula, OH 44004