Librarian – Intermediate/Teen – Main Library
About this Job
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The ASCPL is hiring a Librarian (Intermediate/Teen to support our Mission Statement to provide resources for learning and leisure, information services, meeting spaces, and programs for all ages that support, improve, and enrich individual, family, and community life.
The Intermediate/Teen Librarian:
• Provides services to customers in fourth through twelfth grade, including collection maintenance and merchandising and planning and conducting programs.
• Actively represents the Library in the community through visits to schools and other community groups serving teens and cooperating with area teachers in the selection of appropriate materials.
• Establishes sustained community engagement relationships with local organizations and agencies, providing reference and readers’ advisory and creating an attractive and appealing teen area.
• Cooperates closely with the Early Childhood Librarian in providing family and multi-age programming and helping customers use Library technology, including internet, Library databases, and e-resources.
• May serve as in-charge person for the branch, overseeing the work of support staff and student assistants in the absence of the branch manager.
• Performs standard Library routines, including circulation, delivery, and service desk duties, and performs other tasks as assigned.
Required: A Master of Library and Information Science degree* issued by an ALA-accredited school of library and information science. Knowledge of professional library science, including familiarity with reference and bibliographic resources in the intermediate/teen services areas; understanding of adolescent development and current trends and their influence on program planning, readers advisory, use of technology, and relationship building; effective research skills; ability to speak and write effectively; sound professional judgment; ability to direct the work of others; and positive customer service skills, including a pleasing personality and the ability to get along well with others; ability to work irregular hours, including evening and weekends; and ability to travel to Main or other branches as needed.
Preferred: Previous library experience. Ohio Public Librarian Certification
ABOUT THE LIBRARY
Since 1874, the Akron-Summit County Public Library (ASCPL) has been an essential community asset. We’ve been recognized nationally as one of the finest public libraries in the United States due to our excellent customer service, collaborative community involvement, and high level of customer and employee satisfaction.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays, voluntary benefits (health, dental, and vision), ASCPL-provided life insurance, and retirement through the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS).
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open until filled (preference given to candidates who apply within the first two weeks)
For consideration, applicants for this position must either submit a resume and a cover letter indicating previous applicable experience and training or complete an Employment Application in the Human Resources Department at Main Library. Email resumes to [email protected] or mail them to: Human Resources, Akron-Summit County Public Library, 60 S. High Street, Akron OH 44326-0001. For more information about the ASCPL system, visit our website at www.akronlibrary.org.
Include additional information about how to apply, benefits, etc.
Posted On: Jun 29, 2023 / This posting expires: Jul 30, 2023