Library Assistant (Electronic Resource Management)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Preferred: Minimum three years post-degree work experience
- Preferred: minimum one year working in a library
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently with outstanding organization and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage projects and meet established deadlines
- Knowledge and understanding of technical services processes desirable
- Understanding of Sierra Integrated Library System will be of benefit
This is a full time position with full benefit package. To ensure consideration, interested/qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references on Xavier University’s website. Applications will be received through March 29, 2019 or until position is filled.
XAVIER UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Job Description: Xavier University seeks applicants to fill the vacancy for a Library Assistant (Electronic and Continuing Resources Access Specialist). Reporting to the Head of Collection Management the successful candidate for this full time position (37.5 hours/week) will manage electronic content as well as periodicals in all formats, supervise student workers, and assists with Collection Development projects.
Position summary: Responsible for managing electronic resource access operations for all electronic content (e.g. books, periodicals, media) in the ILS & central eresource management knowledgebase (e.g. Ebsco Full text Finder) system. Coordinates the check-in, processing, and claiming of all current and non-current print periodical materials. Maintains serials holdings in the library online public access catalog and other online access products. Coordinates the library’s periodical, monographic and standing order binding operations. Assists the Head, Collection Development in maintaining bound and current periodical shelves. Hires, trains, evaluates and supervises student assistants.
- Responsible for managing electronic resource access operations for all electronic content (e.g. books, periodicals, media) in the integrated library system (XPLORE) & central eresource management knowledgebase (e.g. Ebsco Full Text Finder) system
--Responsible for editing and loading on an ongoing basis multiple different vendor
provided MARC cataloging records for books, periodicals, and media into ILS
--Monitors and sets up access to new ejournals; withdraws inaccessible ejournals
--Reviews title lists for accuracy for the renewal of eresource.
--Under general direction of supervisor, communicates with vendors and publishers
on matters related to the access to eresources
--Handles the electronic content withdraws of books and media titles
- The Periodicals Assistant receives, processes and checks in new periodicals, newspapers and microfilms in the automated XPLORE (Innovative Interfaces, Inc.) serials control system
--Responsible for copy cataloging of all single title print periodicals
--Responsible for maintaining accurate, clean print and micro-format periodical
bibliographic, item and check-in records in XPLORE .
--Manages titles that are not bound and missing issues
--Communicates title changes, alternate titles and ceased titles to Head, Collection
Management and Acquisitions Librarian for corrections
--Responsible for compiling statistics of periodicals unit work in XPLORE
--Oversees preparation and processing of materials for binding
- Assists with Collection Development projects and periodicals stacks maintenance
--New Titles -creation of new checkin records and cards.
--Cancelled titles - closing of checkin record and card, updating subscription status,
identity, library holdings and count use item record
--Manages physical pulls and recycling of JSTOR and Periodicals Archive Online
--Moves volumes of titles from the Annex to McDonald and from the Annex to
- Resolves problems pertaining to periodicals, such as duplicate issues, receipt of incorrect items, publication delays, incorrect mailing labels, etc
--Handles and communicates Ebsco Report of Changes
--Communicates with Acquisitions Librarian regarding subscription order problems or
--Responsible for electronic/traditional claiming of all late or missed print periodicals
Library Director, Xavier University