Library Specialist (Grade 18)
About this Job
Supervises evening Library operations, including: overseeing circulation functions, providing independent reference and technology assistance, and closing the Library Monday through Friday. Practices attention to detail in maintaining the print journal collection, covering all aspects of timely receipt, maintenance and claiming of serial records. Manages functions of Interlibrary Loan and OhioLINK PCIRC. Uses excellent oral and written communication skills to provide exemplary customer service to a diverse population of library users, demonstrating sensitivity to cultural and generational differences. Position is critical to maintaining library operating hours which provide students access to research material and study space and to sustain resource sharing services.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Supports the academic mission of Cincinnati State by providing customer-focused services that demonstrate a strong commitment to user needs, includes developing and maintaining effective working relationships with students, faculty and colleagues.
- Closes the Library independently Monday through Friday, with typical hours being Monday through Thursday 1:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and Friday 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Must also be able to rotate Saturday hours with other library staff and alter schedule to accommodate changes in library hours during breaks and intersessions.
- Maintains the print journal collection, includes:
- Receives and processes journals and maintains serial holdings records in an integrated library system.
- Investigates and resolves complex journal receipt problems and reconciles title and accession changes.
- Claims missing issues and evaluates responses from suppliers to determine appropriate course of action.
- Works closely with cataloger and acquisitions coordinator to insure accuracy of bibliographic and fiscal records.
- Assists with special projects that evaluate usage and drive selection or de-selection of paper journals.
- Provides independent reference assistance during assigned hours. Instructs users on the use of library resources to meet research needs.
- Manages functions related to OhioLINK Patron Initiated Circulation, including daily processing of materials, problem solving for misdirected items and annual clean-up procedures.
- Manages functions related to processing Interlibrary Loan requests, both internal and external using World Share web-based software.
- Recommends, trains, supervises and evaluates the work of student workers.
- Assists with stack maintenance to ensure findability of materials, includes shelving, shelf-reading, shifting, and assisting with staff inventory and deselection projects.
- Provide basic assistance and troubleshooting of Library technology issues, including PCs, laptops, printers, and photocopiers.
- Generates statistics and reports to assist with library assessment.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Library Director.
Relationships and Contacts
- Works cooperatively with the Coordinator of Circulation Services to ensure all circulation and resource sharing activities are performed consistently and thoroughly.
- Works regularly with all other library staff.
- Interacts daily with faculty, administrators, staff and students.
- Liaisons with personnel at other institutions participating in SWON, OhioLINK, and Interlibrary Loan resource sharing activities.
- Acts as point of contact for publishers regarding serial issues, most frequently with EBSCO.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Two years of library experience
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Computer and technology skills, including: word processing, database management, and experience troubleshooting minor technology issues involving computers, software, and Library equipment.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to work independently.
- Physically able to push/pull book trucks weighing 40 pounds, lift 30-pound bags, and capable of bending to low shelves and reaching to high shelves.
- Supervisory experience
- Experience in providing or managing circulation services, particularly with Sierra software.
- Experience with resource sharing tools, including OhioLINK and ILL (WorldShare)
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Deadline to apply is October 15, 2021.
Posted On: Sep 30, 2021 / This posting expires: Oct 15, 2021