Local History Manager
Organization:Westerville Public Library
• College Degree in History or a related field required. Master’s Degree in History, Library Science or related field strongly preferred.
• Three years of experience in a Public Library or Historical Society setting.
• Expertise in conducting historical research in archives and libraries.
• Experience creating public displays of information using physical, video, and digital tools.
• Experience in creating/managing a range of programs, including, but not limited to educational and outreach activities, exhibitions, and online initiatives.
• Understanding of cataloging/collection database methods and best practices.
• Two years of experience in a team environment as a working manager/supervisor.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships and lead collaborative initiatives internally and externally to leverage support for and participation in programs.
• Ability to resolve conflict effectively between staff members and resolve customer complaints.
• Must possess the skills to independently plan, analyze and structure staff assignments to provide efficient and effective library service.
• Physical requirements include: moderate activity work – exerting up to 30 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently to carry, lift, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
• Periodically requires leading a local area tour of up to three miles in any type of weather.
• Standing for long periods may be required on an occasional basis.
• The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Local History Manager is responsible for maintaining the collection of the Local History Center and the Anti-Saloon League Museum and sharing these collections with the public through tours, programs, displays, online resources and research assistance.
• Envisions, interprets and anticipates community local history needs and develops programs, displays, printed pieces, online resources, and services to meet those needs.
• Collects materials for the Local History Museum and the Anti-Saloon League Museum within the collection policy and refers non-conforming materials to more appropriate museums/repositories.
• Maintains a collection management policy to ensure the quality of the collections and the way they are used, stored, organized and preserved.
• Prepares and presents programs on Westerville history and the temperance movement.
• Provides research assistance for customers.
• Provides support for educators using the Local History and Anti-Saloon League collections through workshops and online curriculum materials.
• Tapes oral history interviews to add to the collection.
• Responsible for the care and custody of materials, furniture and equipment within the Local History Center and Anti-Saloon League Museum.
• Seeks grants and other alternate funding sources to support existing and new collections & programs.
• Supervises the department staff and allocates specific work assignments and responsibilities pertaining to departmental operations and services.
• Interviews, hires, develops and evaluates department staff.
• Recommends policies, procedures and new services and advises the Assistant Director on department operations.
• Actively works with Marketing Manager to promote the Local History Center and Anti-Saloon League Museum.
• Represents the department on the Advisory Council.
• Maintains a positive relationship with the Ohio History Center; the Westerville Historical Society and other appropriate organizations.
• Acts as liaison with the Westerville Historical Society and serves as an ex-officio member of the Society’s board.
• Makes recommendations regarding the facility to preserve the longevity of the collection.