Main Library Services Manager
Organization:Dayton Metro Library
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an A.L.A. accredited program, minimum of three to five years of increasingly responsible experience in a public library setting at a professional level, and supervisory experience preferred.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.
- Ability to plan, schedule and oversee library operations and personnel.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, theories, concepts, policies and procedures. Knowledge and appreciation of literature, periodicals, audiovisual materials, web sites, social media, and other electronic media which constitute a diverse, current and relevant collection.
- Ability to learn automated system functions used in carrying out job duties. General knowledge of PC equipment required. Fluency with personal electronic devices and library virtual materials required.
- Knowledge of available and emerging technologies and their application to library services.
- The work schedule includes day, evening and Saturday hours.
The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Are you a librarian who is looking to move into management? Then the Dayton Metro Library has the job for you! This full-time, entry-level manager reports to the Main Library Manager and supervises Library Aides and the two staff members who facilitate our resource sharing. The successful candidate will be comfortable providing exemplary service to patrons who are using the Main Library. We are looking for someone who is highly organized, has great attention to detail, and exceptional interpersonal skills. Experience overseeing Library Aides is a plus! Join our team today!
- Assists the Main Library Manager in establishing and implementing goals and objectives for Main Library service which support the Library’s mission.
- Oversees system-wide resource sharing activities.
- Directly hires, trains, manages, evaluates, and schedules Library Aides assigned to public service departments of the Main Library. Directly hires, trains, manages, evaluates, and schedules select Patron Service Assistants involved with resource sharing activities at the Main Library. Serves as liaison between Main Library department managers and assigned employees.
- Oversees shelving, shelf-reading, and materials shifting activities at the Main Library. Reviews stacks for needed weeding. Receives donated materials according to guidelines.
- Serves as back-up to Main Library Manager in the scheduling of staff at public service desks.
- Assists with ensuring the efficient, effective, customer service oriented delivery of services to Main Library patrons. Maintains a current knowledge of Library operations, policies, and procedures. Demonstrates and models excellent internal and external customer service. Maintains frequent personal presence in public areas to ensure outstanding service.
- Assists in promoting community awareness of the Library and establishes effective communication with community groups, organizations, and individuals.
- Provides input to the Main Library Manager in preparation of annual budget requests, quarterly, topical, and other reports as requested.
- Answers patrons’ reference questions and assists patrons in selecting and locating materials. Assists patrons in the use of computers, personal electronic devices, and Library virtual materials.
- Assists with monitoring facility needs. Initiates maintenance and repair of Main Library building, equipment, and grounds in cooperation with the Facilities Manager, as directed.
- Assists with maintaining a safe and secure facility for staff and patrons in conjunction with the Security Manager.
- Assists with the implementation of Library policies and procedures. Participates in policy revision and in the formulation of policies and procedures. Interprets Library policies to staff and patrons with a patron-responsive management perspective.
For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Jennifer Kadel at email@example.com by April 9, 2019.