Manager, Mobile Services
Organization:Geauga County Public Library
Minimum Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
• ALA accredited MLS or MLIS degree
• Experience in outreach and/or bookmobile services preferred
• Possesses (or can obtain) and maintains an Ohio driver’s license and proof of insurance.
• Clean driving record (no moving violations in the last 5 years).
• No at-fault traffic accidents in the last 5 years.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
• Strong public service skills
• Ability to work with people of all ages, including staff, volunteers, and the public
• Ability to supervise, schedule, and evaluate staff
• Possesses excellent time management skills
• Basic mechanical knowledge
• Working knowledge of computers, technology, and software
• Ability to communicate in English, effectively, with the public and staff in person, over the phone, and online.
• Willingness and adaptability to work in a changing work environment.
• Ability to drive and operate controls on the Mobile Services vehicles, and ability to maneuver oneself while in the confines of the bus.
• Ability to use hands and fingers, grasp handles, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls – including computers, phones, office equipment, and vehicles.
• Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. occasionally and 20 lbs. regularly, and stand up to 50% of working time.
• Ability to read computer screens and print material.
Position Summary: Implements Outreach Plan of Service for GCPL. Collaborates and builds relationships with relevant county agencies. Oversees the delivery and circulation of library materials to the public via Bookmobiles, Amish Book Collection, Homebound Services, Services for the Visually Impaired, etc., including supervision, scheduling, and training of staff and volunteers. Provides regular, direct public service on the Bookmobiles. Recruits and works with outreach volunteers and Friends group
Essential Job Functions: This list is illustrative, but not exhaustive for this position.
• Coordinates Bookmobile and Outreach Services.
• Plans, proposes, and implements new and/or enhanced services.
• Sets annual departmental goals in consultation with the library manager.
• Interviews, selects, trains, schedules, supervises, and evaluates Mobile Services staff and Outreach volunteers.
• Coordinates Mobile Services schedules of stops, and visits locations as needed.
• Performs direct service to the public by driving the Mobile Services vehicles, checking materials in/out, and offering reader’s advisory and limited reference, including placing holds for items not on the vehicles.
• Provides reader’s advisory services to Homebound individuals.
• In conjunction with the Facilities Department, ensures vehicle maintenance and repair.
• Coordinates Homebound Service and ABC Delivery to Amish Schools.
• Recruits and trains the volunteers who do these deliveries.
• Attends Managers and Board meetings and updates staff as appropriate.
• Collaborates with library colleagues on materials collection responsibilities, weeding.
• Writes column for Middlefield Post.
• Submits monthly and annual reports.
• Serves on GCPL committees as needed.
• Continues professional development through in-service training, conferences, and workshops as appropriate.
• Encourages staff development by promoting meetings, workshops and conferences for Mobile Services staff.
• Coordinates talking book player loans, delivers talking book players to new clients, and instructs them on how to operate the machines.
• Other duties as assigned.