Marketing/Community Relations Coordinator
Organization:Ashtabula County District Library
- Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations or related field. Valid driver's license and dependable vehicle with appropriate insurance. Must able to pass a background check.
- Knowledge of and Abilities:
- Ability to provide above-and-beyond customer service;
- Demonstrated ability as a communicator (written, spoken, listening) and positive interpersonal skills (friendly, courteous, and flexible disposition), including all types and ages of people, and variety of external constituencies;
- Dependable work habits (attitude, attendance, and initiative);
- Knowledge of principles of public relations and effective marketing techniques; thorough knowledge of graphics;
- English grammar, usage, and spelling;
- Office practices and machines including microcomputers applications such as word processing and desktop publishing software, i.e. Microsoft Office and Publisher;
- Sound judgment and discretion including the ability to establish and maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with the Director, public and staff;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision in a team environment;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Ability to plan and implement creative approaches to promoting library services and materials;
- Ability to speak effectively in public;
- Demonstrated excellent organization skill and the ability to meet deadlines;
- Webpage content development;
- Ability to work days, evenings, and weekends, as needed;
- Two years related experience in public relations/communication/marketing field;
- Familiarity with public library services and operations including online public access catalog;
- Familiarity with current marketing techniques as they pertain to libraries;
- Knowledge of the community within the service areas of the library;
- Willingness to participate in continuing education.
EQUIPMENT AND EFFORT REQUIRED: Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to communicate well with staff and guests. Sufficient vision to produce and review a wide variety of materials, written correspondence, reports and related material in both electronic and hard copy form. Sufficient mobility to move freely about in an office environment and to attend meetings/events at various locations within the Library service area. Ability to move items and materials weighing 30 pounds in weight and push carts weighing up to 60 pounds. Ability to sit for extended period of time, bending, walking, and standing.
Ability to use and file items in cupboards, cabinets, and shelving up to six feet in height.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Marketing/Community Relations Coordinator oversees the planning, implementation, and evaluation of public relations and marketing that supports the mission, vision, and goals of the library. This position promotes community awareness of library services and programs through the planning and implementation of an aggressive, ongoing public relations campaign to encourage positive visibility and stature, and increased usage of the library by the public through various promotional techniques. The position is responsible for the consistent look of all promotional material for internal and external communication efforts of the library. It works with other departments in implementation of activities that further external communication efforts, including maintaining relevant and timely library web and social media content. Serves as a library liaison to other community organizations.
The Marketing/Community Relations Coordinator promotes a positive work environment by maintaining respectful and courteous interactions at all times, builds relationships within the community, and provides excellent customer service by demonstrating the ability to communicate effectively with people regardless of age, race, sexual orientation, ability level or background.
ILLUSTRATIVE DUTIES (100% of work time):
- Promotes and encourages library services through community contacts and publicity;
- Provides creative advertising and promotional strategies to support and advance library services;
- Develops and implements a public relations and publicity plan, including timelines for completion;
- Develops and maintains consistent library branding;
- Establishes effective local media contacts including both print and online, as well as audio and video, to ensure global coverage;
- Prepares and distributes press releases, magazine and newspaper articles, public service announcements, etc.;
- Assesses library service and program needs of ACDL to area residents, patrons, and special target groups via formal and informal marketing research methods;
- Conducts patron satisfaction surveys and extrapolates meaning from results;
- Actively seeks opportunities to promote the library to the public and implements and evaluates outcomes;
- Oversees design and printing of newsletters, fliers, brochures, annual report and other publications or promotional materials;
- Acts as official host for library programs, as needed, including tours, classroom visits, etc.;
- Provides appropriate marketing content on the library's web and social media pages;
- Under the guidance of the Director, provides public comment, notices, etc. on behalf of the library;
- Acts as the library's representative at programs and other outside activities as needed;
- Recommends public relations budget and monitors expenses;
- Maintains and increases knowledge and skills through professional reading, attendance at meetings, conferences, and in-service training sessions;
- Provides direct service to patrons, as needed.
- This job description is illustrative of the types of duties typically performed by this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of each and every essential function of the job. Because job content may change from time to time, the ACDL reserves the right to add and/or delete essential functions from this position at any time.
- Ensures that accurate and effective publicity and marketing are used to inform the public of services and materials available and that they are published in a timely manner;
- Establishes and maintains a network of local media contacts;
- Provides creative public relations programs to help increase community awareness of the library’s facilities;
- Works cooperatively with supervisors, staff, visitors and patrons to accomplish library objectives and to assist with questions or problems in a positive manner;
- Assists other department members in their duties as required;
- Maintains positive communications with staff by keeping staff members informed of upcoming programs and activities and other public relations events;
- Knowledge of basic library policies and procedures is demonstrated;
- Makes accurate reports of public relations activities;
- Demonstrates initiative, self-motivation, creativity, enthusiasm, and high level of professionalism when completing assigned tasks;
- Keeps the Director/Administrative Team informed about problems and developments within the community that may impact the library and its perception in the community.
EVALUATION: To be performed annually by the immediate supervisor and will be based on the job description, observation, and review of work completed and results achieved and/or compliance with set objectives.
Ashtabula County District Library (ACDL) is seeking a bright, passionate, enthusiastic, and creative individual to take our library system to new heights as our new Marketing/Community Relations Coordinator. Library programs, services, and daily attendance have grown exponentially at ACDL over the last couple of years-- but we want even more community engagement! Our new Marketing/Community Relations Coordinator will oversee the strategic planning, implementation, and evaluation of public relations and marketing that supports the mission, vision, and goals of the library.
Our libraries are located in the heart of Ohio's wine country and are a short hike/bike ride from Lake Erie with its beautiful parks and beaches. Snow in the winter, beaches in the summer, and a low cost of living to boot. Come, join us!
This position will remain open until filled. Those responding before July 15th, 2019 will receive first consideration.
For a complete description of this position, please visit www.acdl.info/employment
Please submit Resume and Cover Letter to:
Penny Neubauer, Director
Ashtabula County District Library
4335 Park Ave
Ashtabula, OH. 44004