Mobile Services Manager
Organization:Stark County District Library
• Education: Master’s degree in Library Science is required.
• Certifications or licensure: Appropriate CDL class for operating bookmobiles is preferred. Ohio drivers’ license and ability to maintain a driving record that is satisfactory to the Library’s liability insurance carrier is required.
• Years of relevant experience: 3 or more years required. 7 to 10 years is preferred.
• Years of experience supervising: 1 or more years required. 5 to 7 years is preferred.
• Experience working in a mobile outreach department is required.
• Experience managing a library branch/satellite location or department is preferred.
• Experience working with community groups is required.
• Experience in public library or public-sector organizations is preferred.
• Experience working in a union environment is preferred.
• Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
• The work related to this position is performed mainly in the public and office areas of the Library although some off-site meetings in various other locations may occur (e.g., school visits, etc.). This position may also perform work in mobile services vehicles to assist with department operations.
• The library environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of offices, which includes the need for general safe workplace practices with office equipment and computers, avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations. Work may also be performed on vehicles (e.g., bookmobiles, library-owned cars/trucks) to assist with the operation of mobile and outreach services. Work on bookmobiles is done in close quarters that, at times, may be in motion as teams travel from stop to stop. Mobile services work is performed year-round in vehicles furnished with heat and air conditioning.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
• There is no set schedule for this position, although work is generally done Monday through Friday during typical hours of operation for one’s department. Management duties, including attendance at meetings and events, may require some work to be done before or after hours and on some weekends and evenings.
• This position may require an employee to remain in a standing or seated position for extended periods of time while performing a variety of tasks.
• Employees must be able to perform repetitive hand, arm, and body movements, including typing and/or lifting books, on a continuous basis.
• Employees must be able to perform tasks related to the operations of the mobile services department including:
• reaching overhead and bending/kneeling to shelve books weighing up to three pounds.
• ability to lift light objects [less than 20 pounds] and carry them short distances [20 feet or less] and, within Mobile Services particularly, load/unload materials and equipment in all weather conditions.
• ability to push a fully loaded book cart (typically weighing at least 20lbs or more) for distances of at least 20 feet.
• Some travel by personal automobile and a valid State of Ohio drivers’ license is required. Occasional overnight travel is required.
1. Adds value as a key member of management; understands the profession, service recipients, organization and its strategy.
2. Supervises employees, provides direction, coaches, trains and develops, hires, and manages performance to organization goals and expectations.
3. Directs and coordinates the activities of the branch or department, oversees scheduling to ensure coverage of service points, and accepts responsibility for the overall operating effectiveness of the branch or department. Manages resources effectively and efficiently; knows and understands organization’s financial position.
4. Manages vendors and outside service providers effectively; sets expectations and holds them accountable.
5. Monitors mobile service vehicle fleet to ensure safe and productive operations.
6. Formulates goals, plans, and procedures for Mobile Services.
7. Seeks information from users and potential users of information and Library materials about their Library needs and interests.
8. Works with outside organizations such as schools and other community organizations to bring programs and services to their location.
9. Works to identify underserved communities within service area to determine location of Community Stops.
10. Identifies opportunities and develops strategies for new innovations in service using the mobile vehicle fleet.
11. Serves as a mentor or coach for new Branch Managers.
12. Participates in Library committee work by chairing meetings or contributing as a member.
13. Provides direct public service to Library users including circulation, reference and assistance in accessing services. Resolves customer problems.
14. Represents the Library in the community by making presentations and serving on boards and committees.
15. Seeks opportunities to promote the Library with the goal of increasing public use of programs and resources and enhancing the Library’s visibility as a vital community partner.
16. Interprets and explains Library policies, objectives, and services to community groups, business and educational leaders, and the public.
17. Other duties as required.
3. Customer Service
5. Ethics & Integrity 6. Initiative
7. Job Knowledge
8. Quality of Work
10. Talent Management
Technical / Functional Skills
• Strong problem-solving skills; ability to address complex, organizational issues (e.g., scheduling and coordination of stops)
• Knowledge of professional library theories, issues and trends as well as familiarity with library professional publications and the literature of librarianship
• Advanced familiarity with library principles, practices, services and operations
• Ability to plan, develop, implement and promote library-related programs
• Ability to perform intermediate to advanced functions using the library circulation system, service platforms, and following current procedures
• Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software and relevant business management systems such as Integrated Library System (ILS)
Visit www.starklibrary.org for a complete job description and online application.