About this Job
The Westerville History Museum's mission is to preserve and share Westerville’s history through its collections of national and local interest. Every year, over 12,000 people visit the museum and have a chance to interact with the collections through exhibitions, programming, and research. The museum is in a wing of the library that was originally built in the 1850s as a home.
The Museum Manager is responsible for maintaining the collection of the Westerville History Museum and the Anti-Saloon League Museum and sharing these collections with the public through tours, programs, displays, online resources and research assistance.
• Envisions, interprets and anticipates community museum needs and develops programs, displays, printed pieces, online resources, and services to meet those needs.
• Collects materials for the Westerville History Museum and the Anti-Saloon League Museum within the collection policy and refers non-conforming materials to more appropriate museums/repositories.
• Maintains a collection management policy to ensure the quality of the collections and the way they are used, stored, organized and preserved.
• Prepares and presents programs on Westerville history and the temperance movement.
• Provides research assistance for customers.
• Provides support for educators using the Westerville History Museum and Anti-Saloon League collections through workshops and online curriculum materials.
• Records oral history interviews to add to the collection.
• Responsible for the care and custody of materials, furniture and equipment within the Westerville History Museum and Anti-Saloon League Museum.
• Seeks grants and other alternate funding sources to support existing and new collections & programs.
• Supervises the department staff and allocates specific work assignments and responsibilities pertaining to departmental operations and services.
• Interviews, hires, develops and evaluates department staff.
• Recommends policies, procedures and new services and advises the Assistant Director on department operations.
• Actively works with Marketing Manager to promote the Westerville History Museum and Anti-Saloon League Museum.
• Represents the department on the Advisory Council.
• Maintains a positive relationship with the Ohio History Center; the Westerville Historical Society and other appropriate organizations.
• Acts as liaison with the Westerville Historical Society and serves as an ex-officio member of the Society’s board.
• Makes recommendations regarding the facility to preserve the longevity of the collection.
starting at $32/hr
• College Degree in History or a related field required.
• Three years of experience in a Public Library, Museum or Historical Society setting.
• Two years of experience in a team environment as a working manager/supervisor.
• Expertise in conducting historical research in archives and libraries.
• Experience creating public displays of information using physical, video, and digital tools.
• Experience in creating/managing a range of programs, including, but not limited to educational and outreach activities, exhibitions, and online initiatives.
• Understanding of cataloging/collection database methods and best practices.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships and lead collaborative initiatives internally and externally to leverage support for and participation in programs.
• Ability to resolve conflict effectively between staff members and resolve customer complaints.
• Must possess the skills to independently plan, analyze and structure staff assignments to provide efficient and effective library service.
• Technology: Demonstrates intermediate computer skills coupled with an understanding and knowledge of museum provided equipment and software. Proficiency in video software, social media platforms, digital collections, and online curriculum guides is needed to be successful in this role.
• Teamwork: The ability to work collaboratively with others, including other departments, to achieve organizational and department goals.
• Equity, Diversity & Inclusion: Commitment to interact appropriately, fairly, and equitably with all; the ability to demonstrate and foster respect for all individuals and points of view.
• Ethics: Commitment to the Ohio Ethics Law and the basic ethics and values of library service.
• Intellectual Freedom: The understanding and support of the museum's role in providing free and equal access to ideas, information, resources, and services, from all points of view, without restriction, to every individual.
• Organizational Awareness: The knowledge of and ability to support the library's mission, vision, culture, and structure; a comprehensive awareness of the library's policies and procedures.
• Leadership: The ability to set and model high performance standards characterized by integrity, and to earn trust and respect of others by coaching, inspiring, and empowering teams of people to achieve strategic objectives.
• Physical requirements include: moderate activity work – exerting up to 30 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently to carry, lift, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
• Periodically requires leading a local area tour of up to three miles in any type of weather.
• Standing for long periods may be required on an occasional basis.
• The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
• Master’s Degree in History, Library Science or related field strongly preferred.
The Westerville Public Library is committed to recruiting a diverse staff and believes that diversity leads to innovation in programming, collections, policy, and service. We recognize that everyone inhabits multiple and intersecting identities and encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work. We are committed to a truly inclusive workplace and recognize that this requires strategic and deliberate challenges to white supremacy, systemic inequity, structural racism, and individual bias.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Include additional information about how to apply, benefits, etc.
Posted On: Feb 15, 2023 / This posting expires: Mar 1, 2023