Public Service Assistant II – Maple Valley Branch
About this Job
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The ASCPL is hiring a Public Service Assistant II to support our Mission Statement to provide resources for learning and leisure, information services, meeting spaces, and programs for all ages that support, improve, and enrich individual, family, and community life. The PSA II works at least 75% of the workday at the public service desk and:
• Greets customers in a friendly and accessible manner.
• Assists customers in the selection and use of Library materials.
• Addresses problem situations and maintains order as needed when there is no security officer and in the absence of the branch manager and librarians
• Understands, analyzes, and assists with answering varied reference questions by supplying information well-suited to the user, which could include directing customers to other divisions, agencies, or resources for additional help.
• Assists customers in utilizing Library technology, including the internet and Library databases and offering instruction.
• Interprets the Library’s policies and procedures to the public in a customer-responsive manner.
• Performs clerical duties.
• Maintains supply stock and orders supplies.
• Processes, shelves, and merchandises Library materials.
Required: High school diploma or equivalent with some college coursework or Associate’s degree. Knowledge of customer interests related to Library materials, programs, and services. Knowledge of the principles of intellectual freedom as they apply to public libraries. Skill in customer service. Ability to arrange materials in alphabetical and numerical order. Lifting light objects (less than 25 pounds) and carrying them short distances (50 feet or less) and pushing Library materials carts up to 200 pounds. Criminal background and education verification.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree. Previous library work experience.
ABOUT THE LIBRARY
Since 1874, the Akron-Summit County Public Library (ASCPL) has been an essential community asset. We’ve been recognized nationally as one of the finest public libraries in the United States due to our excellent customer service, collaborative community involvement, and high level of customer and employee satisfaction.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays, voluntary benefits (health, dental, and vision), ASCPL-provided life insurance, and retirement through the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS).
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open until filled (preference given to candidates who apply within the first two weeks)
For consideration, applicants for this position must either submit a resume and a cover letter indicating previous applicable experience and training or complete an Employment Application in the Human Resources Department at Main Library. Email resumes to [email protected] or mail them to: Human Resources, Akron-Summit County Public Library, 60 S. High Street, Akron OH 44326-0001. For more information about the ASCPL system, visit our website at www.akronlibrary.org.
THE AKRON-SUMMIT COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY IS AN EQUAL OPPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Include additional information about how to apply, benefits, etc.
Posted On: Aug 21, 2023 / This posting expires: Sep 22, 2023