Public Service Manager
About this Job
The Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County (OH) seeks an experienced Public Service Manager to provide oversight of supervisors and library initiatives in agencies, help guide staff in the formulation of service goals to assure that these branches are operated in accordance with Library policy and priorities, and to deliver services responsive to community needs.
(1) Day-to-day management and oversight of Supervisors at multiple branches, functions and operations. (2) Facilitates resolution of problems, concerns, or complaints between staff. Facilitates and encourages staff development. Provides direct instruction, mentorship, training, guidance and oversight to assigned supervisors. (3) Facilitates open communication channels between staff of bargaining units, library administration and community groups. (4) Observes the application of policies and procedures in practice and works with other administrative staff to create improvements. Ensures that collections, programs and services are meeting user needs and are in support of the Library’s mission by working closely with other administrative teams. Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations and streamline work processes. (5) Maintains operation of the library by assisting with scheduling, participating in the chain of command; approving time sheets; and participating in contract negotiations. (6) Facilitates with supervisors a model that enables the staff to know the concerns and issues of the neighborhood by developing closer planning and working relationships between the library and community leaders, groups, and agencies. Serves as a strong advocate for the Library and the power of Library resources to make a positive contribution in the community.
- Masters Degree in Library Science.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in progressively responsible positions, at least 3 of which have been in a supervisory position, preferably in a union setting.
- Must be able to exercise considerable independent judgment to develop, plan, direct, coordinate, and manage staff. Ability to understand and maintain positive relationships with staff members.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing; to effectively plan, direct, and manage people; properly interpret and make decisions in accordance with library policy and procedure; demonstrate initiative and resourcefulness; and work with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to supervise using proven and approved techniques.
- Strong motivational and leadership skills.
- Extensive experience and a high degree of expertise with digital library services and proficient with other technology used by the library.
- Excellent problem-solving ability.
- Must be able to work in confidence with other administrative staff.
Nature of work requires an ability to effectively communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, selecting adult materials, monitoring circulation turn-over rates of in-demand materials, recommending replacement/discard of adult materials, and operate standard business office equipment. Travel to other library branches and community outreach are required. The majority of work is performed but not limited to a general office/library environment. Availability for extended or non-traditional hours as needed to perform job duties. Participation and attendance at promotional events and off-site meetings required. Able to reach, bend, climb, squat, lift 25lbs, push up to 50lbs, and stand for long periods of time.
PLYMC is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. PLYMC is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Department at [email protected].
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Posted On: Aug 24, 2021 / This posting expires: Oct 24, 2021