Reference and Adult Services Librarian
Organization:Belmont County District Library
Master’s degree in Library Science, or Library and Information Science (MLS/MLIS) from a graduate program accredited by the American Library Association. A combination of relevant education and experience may be accepted.
Duties are performed indoors in an office environment and require extended periods of standing, walking, sitting, talking and hearing with occasional periods of climbing or balancing, the pulling, pushing, lifting or carrying of items, keyboarding, reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling. Weights up to 50 pounds are encountered.
Works under the general direction of the Library Director providing library services including: reference assistance, reader’s advisory, programming, and collection development; maintains the online presence of the library system; and assists in supervising the daily operation of the Library.
Supervises the work of the library staff regarding the public experience of the library system and reference and readers advisory services.
- Maintains an awareness of developments in the library services by reading professional literature, attending conferences, workshops, and other training sessions and incorporates the new developments into the Library’s services
- Manage electronic resources and Library website
- Selects and maintains the Library collection based on varied criteria and methods of evaluation under the direction of the Library Director
- Develops and conducts in-service education for employees
- Researches and coordinates adult programs for the library system
- Coordinate programming schedule with the Administrative Assistant to submit to the Library Director for approval.
- Compile and maintains monthly statistics for programming and services.
- Participates in service programs, publicity, public relations and staff development activities
- Maintains knowledge of the job duties of the Circulation Manager, Branch Manager, and Library Assistants to supervise their work as needed.
- Proficiently perform all job duties of Library Assistants as scheduled or needed.
- Answers Library users' reference questions, in person and on the telephone, using materials in a variety of formats (such as books, periodicals, newspapers, microfilm, indices or electronic media)
- Provides reader's advisory services for Library users
- Follow and assist in the enforcement of the policies of the Library; interpreting Library policies and procedures for Library users in a customer-responsive manner
- Other duties as assigned by the Library Director
To apply please provide a cover letter, resume, and documentation of education via US mail or email. Applications received prior to April 20, 2019 will be given first consideration.
Belmont County District Library
20 James Wright Place
Martins Ferry, OH 43935