Organization:Pickerington Public Library
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited institution
- Practical experience with electronic information delivery, as well as effective computer skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Exceptional level of accuracy, thoroughness and attention to detail
- Knowledge of basic library principles, methods and procedures
- Maintains professional, businesslike behavior and appearance
- Demonstrated commitment to serving library customers and residents of the community
- Must maintain insurability under the Library’s vehicle liability insurance coverage. Periodically drives to all Library locations; may travel for training and development assignments. Must have immediate access to personal vehicle. Must maintain valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record. May drive PPL vehicle if called upon.
- Must successfully pass a background check
Physical requirements include ability to stand, sit, bend, push and carry library materials over an extended period of time. Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds and push a 50-pound cart. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The Reference Assistant works primarily at the Information desk providing customer assistance in finding the library materials and requested information, through print, media and online resources and Reader’s Advisory. Responsible for assisting customers with computers and other library needs. The Reference Assistant also assists with collection development, technology needs and troubleshooting, Homework Help services, outreach, reader’s advisory, in-depth reference, and circulation. Committed to the Pickerington Public Library’s Mission to “Inspire Knowledge, Connect Community, Enrich Our World, Read!”
- Assists customers in locating and using library materials
- Answers reference questions in person or by telephone, email, and conducts the needed research using print and on-line reference tools
- Performs collection management activities, based on knowledge of the community needs, usage levels, and relevance of materials. Provides feedback to selectors.
- Provides readers’ advisory to customers using appropriate sources of information including knowledge of the collection and electronic resources
- Creates displays and merchandises materials
- Assists customers in using the on-line catalog, computers, copiers and other equipment
- Handles daily operations by monitoring public computers, responding to customers’ questions regarding e-readers and routine inquiries
- Assisting customers with process of setting up electronic devices with Overdrive and other online resources
- Trains public and staff on use of Library technologies one-on-one and in classroom settings
- Assists with collection maintenance and weeding of library materials
- Places requests for library materials not immediately available
- Processes customer fines and fees payments
- Assists, plans and implements library events and classes
- Performs outreach services as needed
- Seeks and participates in continuing education opportunities, such as OLC, in order to keep skills current and broaden knowledge
- Assists customers with the website and other electronic resources
- Participates in planning and improving library services through staff committees
- Performs circulation duties of checking in/out materials, processing customer fees, and organizing and shelving materials and processing reserves
- Demonstrates understanding of basic library routines and adheres to library policies and procedures
- Checks e-mail frequently
- Assists in all public service areas, including homework help center as needed
- Performs additional duties as assigned
Cover letters and resumes can be e-mailed to: email@example.com
Or mailed to: Pickerington Public Library
Attention: Brenda Oliver
201 Opportunity Way
Pickerington, Ohio 43147
Cover letters and resumes will be accepted until position is filled.
The Pickerington Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicable background checks will be performed.