About this Job
Muskingum University welcomes applications for the position of Reference-Instruction Librarian. This position provides information literacy instruction to students and assists faculty with integrating library resources and instructional technologies into their courses. Additionally, the Librarian assists library users with research and information needs and assists with the general day-to-day operations of the Roberta A. Smith University Library. This position holds the faculty rank of Assistant Professor of Library Science.
- Participate in providing coverage for the reference desk, including evenings and weekends.
- Take a key role within the reference team in shaping and delivering reference and research assistance services, including in-person, mediated chat, email, and phone reference
- Assist students, faculty, staff, and visitors with locating appropriate resources to address their research or information needs, including in person, through mediated chat, by email or phone.
- Collect statistics related to instruction, reference, or other areas as assigned.
- Provide course-integrated information literacy instruction services in support of all undergraduate disciplines, graduate programs, and adult education programs as requested by faculty or assigned by the Library Director.
- Promote library services, particularly information literacy, by cultivating relationships with faculty and students, and seeking new ways to serve the University.
- Plan, teach, and evaluate information literacy skills integrated into LIBR 220: Beyond Google: Research Skills and Resources.
- Shared instruction of LIBR 220: Beyond Google: Research Skills and Resources.
- Participate in planning, teaching, and evaluating library instruction for the First Semester Seminar Program and all other instruction requested by Muskingum University faculty.
- Participate in planning, presenting, and evaluating research skills workshops delivered to students.
- Assist with the development of LibGuides (print and online research guides), staff training programs, and the Library’s website.
- Work closely with faculty to create course specific active learning opportunities via in-class instruction and LibGuides for students to become self-sufficient in finding, evaluating, and using information.
- Evaluate and make recommendations for improving instruction and reference services based on experience and/or correlated with collected statistics.
- Participate with library staff in general collection maintenance and management including selection and de-selection of resources.
- Assist with the daily operation of the Roberta A. Smith University Library.
- Attend department, division, and faculty meetings and participate in campus committees as assigned.
- Participate in OPAL and OhioLINK committees and task forces as invited or assigned by the Library Director.
- Remain current with library trends and issues by attending OPAL, OhioLINK, and other professional development opportunities as assigned or approved by the Library Director. Attendance may be virtual or in person.
- Some travel to library consortia meetings and professional conferences will be required.
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the major functions of the position and should not be considered a complete description of the essential functions of the position. This Job Description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee may be assigned by the immediate supervisor to perform other reasonably related duties, including special projects.
commensurate with experience
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- An MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited library information studies program or an equivalent degree. Coursework in teaching methods, instructional theory, or instructional design preferred.
- Appreciation for the liberal arts and sciences and understanding of the role of the library in higher education.
- Proven understanding of and familiarity with current library practices.
- Demonstrated commitment to student-centered service.
- Demonstrated commitment to information literacy.
- Ability to understand Muskingum University’s role within the OPAL and OhioLINK Consortia.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with electronic and web-based reference resources.
- Ability to deliver superior reference assistance and instruction.
- Ability to work in a service-oriented, collaborative, collegial, team-based environment, with the ability to work independently at times.
- Willingness to engage in a learning environment.
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of and experience with common software applications and
- Ability to embrace and lead change in a rapidly developing library environment.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must include a cover letter describing the candidate’s experience in relation to the stated job responsibilities, a resume, a list of 3 professional references, and a salary request to [email protected]. Please include the position title in the subject line of your email. This position will remain open until filled, with review of candidates to begin immediately.
Muskingum University actively seeks out and welcomes administrators and staff who are committed to excellence in student learning, consider the engagement of diverse communities in the University’s educational programs and activities, and are committed to full inclusivity at the University. As an equal opportunity employer, Muskingum welcomes applications from individuals from populations, which have been historically underrepresented in higher education and/or have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
Posted On: May 16, 2022 / This posting expires: Jun 19, 2022