About this Job
Location: Pickerington Public Library Main
Reports to: Information and Research Services Manager
Non-exempt full-time position: 40 hours a week
Compensation: Ranges from $19.55 to $26.44 an hour/depending on education and experience.
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, Life Ins, Prof. Dev., Ohio Public Retirement System, PTO and paid Holidays.
The Reference Librarian works primarily at the Information Desk, providing customer assistance. The Reference Librarian supports collection development, technology needs and troubleshooting, reader’s advisory, in-depth reference, and circulation. Provides specialized training and guidance to other Public Services staff and customers, including the use of electronic resources and reference tools. Supports the Community Engagement Department by assisting the Information and Research Services Team with the day-to-day duties of providing content for the library’s online presence and brand, including content for the library’s website and social media accounts, creation of graphics, and online reader’s advisory. The Reference Librarian works with each department in the library to provide materials and excellent customer service to the customers. Committed to the Pickerington Public Library’s Mission to “Inspiring Learning, Connecting Community, Enriching Our World, Fostering a Love of Reading!” The Librarian serves as a Person in Charge (PIC) in the absence of the Information and Research Services Manager.
• Training: Oversee and/or conducts formal and informal training with all levels of staff and volunteers in the provision of quality library services to customers.
• Work Review/Revision: Assists in coordinating library services throughout the organization. Oversee the department in the manager’s absence
• Assists and answers questions for customers in locating and using library materials, resources, digital devices, and other equipment
• Provides readers’ advisory to customers (in person or virtually) using appropriate sources of information, including knowledge of the collection, the publishing industry, and electronic resources
• Answers reference questions in person or by telephone, email, and conducts the needed research using print and on-line reference tools
• Plans, coordinates, promotes, and presents classes, events, displays, and outreach
• Coordinates with the Executive Manager – Community Engagement and Library Director to establish and maintain collaborations with community agencies and promote Library services through community outreach
• Maintains effective relationships with community officials, leaders, organizations, the public and the staff
• Ensures that the user environment is pleasant, friendly and that services meet the needs of customers
• Assists customers in placing requests for library materials from Pickerington Public Libraries, other Central Library Consortium libraries, and Search Ohio libraries
• Provides excellent service to customers of all ages and backgrounds, practices positive public relations and performs duties in a friendly and courteous manner
• Monitors facility and property issues and conditions, communicating any needs or problems to the appropriate person
• Participates in the Central Library Consortium and Southeast Regional Library System at appropriate level
• Cooperates with other staff, promotes teamwork, shares information and resolves conflict
• Assists in the delivery of services to the customer at all service points. Maintains personal skills to assure quality of service in areas of Library collections, technology, reference, readers’ advisory and circulation
• Attends and presents at local, state, and national conferences or meetings as required
• Creates displays and merchandise materials
• Participates in providing content for the library’s website and social media pages.
• Manages assigned areas of the collection based on knowledge of community needs, usage levels, and relevance of materials
• Meets the technology needs of customers and conducts troubleshooting
• Stays current with knowledge and understanding of developments within the profession
• Assists the Information & Research Services Manager in providing training on current trends, best practices, and new technologies
• Participates in planning and improving library services through staff committees
• Acts as the Person-In-Charge (PIC) at the Main Library regularly
• Demonstrates understanding of basic library routines and adheres to library policies and procedures
• Checks e-mail and Discourse (CLC) frequently
• Performs additional duties as assigned including being a project lead and/or serving on task forces, committees, etc.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk and hear. The employee must regularly lift up to 30 pounds and push a 50-pound cart. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
• Master’s in Library Science from an ALA-accredited university/program
• A minimum of two years’ professional public library experience, or equivalent relevant experience, with demonstrated knowledge and experience in implementing technology in libraries
• Previous experience with ILS/LMS in another library setting
• Previous experience with collection development for teens and adults
• Previous experience planning and conducting programs for adults
• Working knowledge of computer operations including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher and internet searching techniques
• Exceptional level of accuracy, thoroughness and attention to detail
• Knowledge of basic library principles, methods and procedures
• Maintains professional, businesslike behavior and appearance
• Demonstrated commitment to serving library customers and residents of the community
• Must have a valid Driver’s License, maintain insurability under the library’s insurance and successfully pass a background check
The Pickerington Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicable background checks will be performed.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Cover letter and resume can be e-mailed to: [email protected]
Or mailed to: Pickerington Public Library
Attention: Brenda Oliver
201 Opportunity Way
Pickerington, Ohio 43147
Cover letters and resumes will be accepted until position is filled.
Posted On: Jul 20, 2023 / This posting expires: Aug 21, 2023