Research Librarian (Tenure Track)
About this Job
The Ohio State University Health Sciences Library (HSL) seeks an innovative, motivated and collaborative professional for the tenure-track faculty position of Research Librarian. As part of the Research and Education liaison team, the Research Librarian will develop and provide instruction and consultations in classroom, small group, and individual settings and also produce online guides and learning materials that support the research efforts of biomedical and health sciences basic scientists. The successful candidate will engage with faculty, staff, and students and develop expertise to inform and enhance the research enterprise.
Note: Individuals interested in this faculty position must submit a curriculum vitae and cover letter as one PDF and complete the application on The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center career site: job ID 69096
80% Librarianship (Assigned Professional Time)
• Develops expertise in areas of interest to basic scientists, such as publication metrics/bibliometrics, data management planning and journal/funder requirements, genetic information databases, open access and open science, and expert comprehensive searching for the purposes of grant and/or IRB submissions and systematic, scoping or other review types. Within an appointment-only research consult model, provides in-depth consultations connected to these areas.
• Develops, implements, and assesses strategic instructional and curricular programs or courses through a variety of methods and formats aimed at the information needs of basic scientists in the health sciences, primarily but not limited to the College of Medicine.
• Engages in successful relationships with faculty, students, and staff in assigned areas, and collaborates with other librarians and research-oriented units across the medical center and University as appropriate.
• Stays abreast of new tools and approaches to partner with and support the research community.
• Serves on Health Sciences Library, University Libraries, and University committees and working groups and collaborates with university centers, offices, and other librarians as appropriate. Participates in strategic planning and goals setting at the Health Sciences Library, including leading initiatives as appropriate.
20% Scholarship and Service (Unassigned Professional Time)
• Conducts research and scholarly activities in appropriate venues in order to meet the Libraries' and University's criteria for promotion and tenure.
• Master’s degree in library and information studies from an ALA-accredited program or a comparable graduate degree from a non-U.S. university, reviewed on a case-by-case basis; or a PhD or other terminal degree in a biomedical, biological/life sciences, biologically-oriented chemistry, or bioinformatics field with demonstrated interest and/or expertise in health sciences librarianship.
• Experience with health sciences database searching and familiarity with common information workflows in basic science research settings
• Familiarity with scientific terminology, methodologies, and the evolving health sciences information landscape
• Able to take initiative, lead individual efforts, prioritize and scale services; willingness and courage to try new ventures
• Familiarity with current trends and technologies facing academic research environments
• Familiarity with complex academic settings
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in a biomedical, biological, life or health sciences field
• Minimum 2-4 years of experience in an academic, life sciences, or health sciences library
• Ability to adapt and work well within a complex, changing environment
• Documented evidence of ability to lead projects and initiatives relevant to research and education within an academic or health sciences library
• Experience in a research/academic laboratory setting
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status. The Ohio State University is a member of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Diversity Alliance.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Include additional information about how to apply, benefits, etc.
Posted On: Jan 27, 2023 / This posting expires: Mar 2, 2023