Subject Librarian for Scripps College of Communication
* MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution at point of hire, with a working knowledge of academic librarianship theory and practice.
* Demonstrated ability to teach research concepts and skills to users with varying information-seeking experiences and abilities.
* Demonstrated understanding of information literacy issues in a higher education environment.
* Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
* Superior oral and written communication skills.
* Problem-solving abilities.
* Leadership skills.
* Ability to become proficient with disciplinary research databases and modes of scholarly communication.
* Commitment to working with and advocating for diverse groups of people in and out of the library.
* Library experience, especially liaising with academic areas in related fields.
* Educational background in communication or related disciplines.
Ohio University Libraries takes pride in providing outstanding service to all its clientele, productively engaging with our campus and local communities, and in our collaborative efforts in support of outstanding teaching and learning experiences and research productivity. The Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries, and is a founding member of OhioLINK. The Libraries facilities include the Vernon R. Alden Library, the Music and Dance Library, and the Southeast Ohio Regional Depository.
Ohio University is a comprehensive, state-assisted institution that is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a Research University (high-research activity) institution. Ohio University is in Athens, Ohio, a culturally rich, sustainability-focused community situated in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in the southeast corner of Ohio, seventy-five miles from Columbus, the state capital. Athens is within a four-hour drive or less of Cincinnati, Cleveland, Louisville, Pittsburgh, and Indianapolis. With nearly 24,000 students on the Athens campus and 10,000 students on five regional campuses, the University offers a diverse, dynamic, and collegial atmosphere to students, faculty, and staff.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and education. Employees enjoy a generous benefits package such as 21 days annual vacation, sick time, personal time, a tuition waiver up to 100% for self and dependents, a comprehensive insurance package (including but not limited to prescription, vision, dental, and life insurance), Ohio state employee or alternative retirement programs, a 12-week parental leave program, adoption reimbursement, transgender care, flextime and flexplace policies, counseling and mental health care, and more. Additional information is available at https://www.ohio.edu/hr/benefits. The Libraries are committed to professional development in order to bring best practices and innovative services to the Ohio University Libraries.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For full consideration, apply by September 5, 2019. Please apply online at http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/31849. A complete application consists of a CV or resume, a cover letter addressing the applicant’s interest and qualifications for the position requirements and preferences, and a list of three professional references, including contact information and a concise explanation of the professional relationship of the reference to the applicant.
Ohio University is committed to creating a respectful and inclusive educational and workplace environment. Ohio University is an equal access/equal opportunity and affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. Applicants who will enrich the diversity of our campus are especially encouraged to apply.
Ohio University Libraries seeks candidates for a Subject Librarian for Scripps College of Communication. The subject librarian serves as the link between the Libraries and the college, ensuring that students and faculty have access to needed information resources and services, and that new library resources and services are built upon the curricular and research needs of the college. This librarian proactively identifies new opportunities for collaboration and service expansion to meet the changing needs of the students and faculty of the college. Wide-ranging collaboration with team members across the Libraries’ staff, and robust engagement with and outreach to the Scripps College of Communication and the wider scholarly community are central to the work of the position.
Ohio University Libraries seek staff who demonstrate the ability to critically examine the social, historical, and ideological forces and structures in our environment and who actively contributes to a positive climate of diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in the libraries and in the university community. The successful candidate is innovative, comfortable in a changing environment, willing to engage stakeholders in a dynamic, fast-paced atmosphere; and committed to working effectively with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
1. Serves as liaison to the Scripps College of Communication to advance information literacy and the integration of library services and collections into research and teaching.
* Partners with faculty and staff, in the libraries and across campus, to explore, build, strengthen, deliver, and assess library services and collections in support of student success and researcher productivity, including:
o Providing research consultation services.
o Developing the Libraries’ electronic and print collections.
o Developing, delivering, and assessing effective information literacy programming.
o Supporting affordable course materials initiatives.
* Participates in the daily work of the department and the division, including providing orientations and general reference, research, and instructional services, developing web and online instructional content, and other projects.
* Participates in the work of the Libraries, including serving on committees, task forces, and project teams that advance the strategic goals of the Libraries and Ohio University.
* Engages in professional development and service through research, publication, presentations, and participation in state, regional, and national professional associations as part of a continuing commitment to bring best practices and services to the Ohio University Libraries.