Technical Services Library Assistant
Organization:Belmont County District Library
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred, High school diploma or equivalent may be acceptable dependent upon experience. Prior experience in library service and cataloging of library materials.
Duties are performed indoors in an office environment and require extended periods of standing, walking, sitting, talking and hearing with occasional periods of climbing or balancing, the pulling, pushing, lifting or carrying of items, keyboarding, reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling. Weights up to 50 pounds are encountered.
Works under the general direction of the Technical Services Manager providing cataloging and collection services and assisting in the daily operations of the Library under the supervision of the Adult and Reference Services Librarian.
- Verify the receipt of materials from purchase orders and submits paperwork to Fiscal Officer to authorize payment
- Link items to correct record in the SEO Catalog
- Request record imports for materials not in the SEO Catalog from the Technical Service Manager
- Verify item collection with the appropriate professional librarian
- Process materials, applying proper labels, packaging and protection to prepare for circulation
- Repair materials as needed for continued circulation
- Proficiently perform all job duties of Library Assistants as scheduled or needed
- Greet and assist patrons at the circulation desk providing quality customer service
- Communicate effectively in written and oral form and via e-mail
- Exhibit a broad reading background to provide reader's advisory services for Library users.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with library patrons, co-workers and other job contacts
- Preserve confidentiality of sensitive subject matter and situations
- Operate computer, use the Internet and library software and create documents and assist patrons in these matters
- Answer multi-line telephone system to provide general information and transfer calls to requested party, take messages, or direct party to voice mail
- Maintain the inventory of the Library by checking books and other materials in and out.
- Register new patrons and issues library cards
- Provide instruction and information regarding lending policies and patron obligations and privileges
- Collect fines and fees for lost or damaged materials and maintains accurate cash records to reflect daily receipts
- Process materials being sent to or received from other libraries from preparing for shipment to contacting the patron to inform them of the availability of an item
- Prepare carts for shelving and shelve materials in proper order using the Dewey Decimal or other systems
- Read shelves to verify materials are in order
- Assist patrons in locating materials, placing holds, and using other library services and resources
- Answer patrons’ question both in person and on the telephone, using materials in a variety of formats (such as books, periodicals, newspapers, microfilm, indices or electronic media) and refer customers to the Reference Librarian as necessary
- Participate in service programs, publicity, public relations and staff development activities.
- Follow the policies of the Library; interpreting Library policies and procedures for Library users in a customer-responsive manner
- Other duties as assigned by Technical Services Manager or Library Director
Please send your resume to:
Belmont County District Library
20 James Wright PL
Martins Ferry, OH 43935