Teen and Adult Services Department Head
Organization:Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library
- Required: Indiana State Library Librarian Certification Level 3 or above or the ability to get one within 18 months of beginning the position.
- Required: ALA Accredited Master of Library Science Degree
- Preferred: 2-4 years of experience working in a public library
- Preferred: Previous management experience
- Required: Ability to work with Windows-based software programs
Interested candidates should send a completed application, resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. 5 St., Zionsville, IN 46077, ATTN: Mary Rueff. This position will remain open until filled.
The Teen & Adult Services Department Head is responsible for the supervision of staff and operations of the Teen & Adult Services department and contributing to the development of the Library as a part of the management team. Duties include providing and cultivating excellent customer service, managing the daily operations of the department, providing and guiding reference services, maintaining and developing collections, oversight of teen and adult programming, creating and fostering opportunities for community engagement, and collaboration across departments.
- Administrative duties, such as planning and preparing work schedules; preparing and monitoring departmental budgets; preparing and monitoring monthly, quarterly, and annual department statistics; maintaining, developing, and communicating accurate and current policies and procedures for the department.
- Supervisory duties, such as conducting employee performance evaluations and coaching; providing regular feedback and support, ensuring a high level of productivity among department staff, documenting and addressing performance issues; planning and leading staff meetings/trainings; assisting in recruiting and training new staff; ensuring staff participation in devising and achieving departmental and library goals.
- Operational duties, such as setting and adjusting workflow priorities; ensuring departmental contribution to online content; delivering and managing customer service at the reference desk or other service points as needed; resolving patron complaints/issues; overseeing the development and implementation of innovative programming; seeking and promoting engagement with community organizations and agencies; assisting with and directing development and maintenance of the adult and teen collections.
- Leadership duties, such as working with the management team to update and develop policies and procedures, identify and address library and community needs, develop innovative library initiatives, and contribute to strategic planning; encouraging an atmosphere of team work, personal responsibility, and initiative; promoting and modeling a commitment to professional development; participating in interdepartmental activities; advocating for teen and adult needs and trends in the Library.