About this Job
The University Librarian is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure/tenure track faculty position. Reporting directly to the Provost, the University Librarian is charged with strategically leading the Grasselli Library & Breen Learning Center to support the information needs that our students, faculty, and staff will need to meet their inspired futures. The successful candidate will lead a multi-year, multi-million dollar library renovation, creating a nexus for multiple constituencies to interact and collaborate for the benefit of our students. The University Librarian will build and cultivate a team to advance student learning, support faculty research and teaching needs, and advocate for a campus culture of learning and discovery. They will ensure user-centered services and programs through engaging with the campus community, assessing the outcomes & value of its services, mentoring colleagues, and centering equity and inclusion efforts. To accomplish this work, the University Librarian will bring a deep commitment to student and faculty success. The University Librarian will be expected to identify campus constituents’ needs, follow instruction/research trends in order to prioritize services and allocate resources, and champion information literacy. They will successfully manage programs and services, effectively collaborate with colleagues, and contribute to a learning-focused organization.
commensurate with experience
● Master’s degree in Library Science or Information Science from an institution accredited by the American Library Association.
● At least 7 years of experience working in a library in a post-secondary institution;
● A record of excellence in librarianship, scholarship, and service which demonstrates progressively responsible library experience, leadership, and supervisory responsibilities;
● Demonstrated ability to articulate a shared and compelling vision for a university library or similar organization, particularly as it pertains to what university libraries should become for future students and faculty, through establishing clear goals and deploying resources in order to achieve strategic ends;
● Passion for the academic environment of a comprehensive university with a strong liberal arts tradition and with an understanding of its unique constituencies, together with a strong commitment to undergraduate and graduate student learning and faculty scholarship and teaching;
● A deep sense of social responsibility;
● Exemplary cultural competencies and understanding, as well as a strong commitment to diversity in all of its manifestations;
● An understanding of, respect for, and commitment to advancing the ideals, values, and heritage of a Jesuit, Catholic institution at the undergraduate and graduate level;
● A record of successfully understanding and using data to inform decisions, strategy, and budgetary decisions;
● Demonstrated ability to empower, delegate, and build consensus across multiple constituencies;
● Understanding of and passion for the role of technology and library services in teaching and learning, including digital scholarship;
● Ability to support assessment and accreditation efforts through prior experience in academic administration;
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
John Carroll University requires all employees to be Fully Vaccinated from COVID-19 and to present proof of full vaccination as a condition of employment with the University. Individuals who are offered and accept positions at the University may seek medical and non-medical exemptions from the Vaccination Requirements.
A Ph. D. or second advanced degree in a related field.
A record of successful grant writing and fundraising.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Qualified individuals should complete an application by October 28, 2022, to receive full consideration. In addition to an application, please be prepared to upload the following documents, including:
A cover letter that addresses your background and experience; your interest in working in a liberal arts environment informed by a Jesuit Catholic mission; and the ways that you’ve contributed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in prior professional settings;
names and contact information for three references
Posted On: Sep 29, 2022 / This posting expires: Oct 29, 2022