Upper School Assistant Librarian
About this Job
• Overall day-to-day management of the library program and facilities, including collection management, circulation, cataloging and other departmental policies and procedures
• Promote the library as a platform for community innovation and experiential learning
• Foster an environment that is conducive to reading, studying, researching and collaborating
• Support students to be critical thinkers and problem solvers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers and ethical users of information
• Acquire resources and supplemental materials that support upper school curriculum and the enrichment of the intellectual life of the school
• Collaborate with faculty to design and provide instruction and resources for class projects, information literacy and research methods
• Evaluate, promote and provide instruction in various areas of technology
• Assist in the management and implementation of the summer reading program to upper school faculty and students
• Collaborate with upper school librarian to design, develop lesson plans and teach a portion of the six sections of freshman research classes
• Collaborate with the lower and middle school librarians to design the PreK-12 library curriculum
• Maintain active memberships in professional associations
Physical Conditions (candidates must be able to manage the following conditions):
• Library/classroom environment
• Mobility around school buildings and on different floors (handicap accessible)
• Repetitive motion (use of a computer keyboard, shelving books)
• Periodic need to move light furniture, hang visuals in the library, carry objects (no more than 40 pounds), etc.
• A non-smoking campus
Pay is commensurate with experience and credentials
• An ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library or Information Sciences
• At least two years experience working in a school, academic or public library
• Classroom teaching experience preferred
• Ability to manage and develop both print and digital collections
• Knowledge of both young adult and adult literature
• Knowledge of varied trends in media literacy instruction
• A commitment to lifelong learning and professional development
• Passion for reading, research and innovation in libraries
• Enthusiasm, flexibility and a positive sense of humor
• Strong technology skills and experience with library management systems
• Demonstrated ability to communicate with diverse populations
The School: Founded in 1911, Columbus Academy is a coeducational college preparatory day school of over 1,100 students age 3 through grade 12 located on a 231-acre campus in Gahanna, Ohio. Student programs are organized into three divisions: Lower School (Age 3-Grade 5), Middle School (Grades 6-8) and Upper School (Grades 9-12). The school offers a vigorous academic program as part of its mission to educate the whole child – mind, body and character. Columbus Academy faculty and staff members are expected to be continuous learners in their fields, to engage in caring and cooperative partnerships with colleagues and parents, to have a demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging, and to help students reach their full potential.
The Position: Columbus Academy seeks an Upper School Assistant Librarian with responsibilities to begin August 10, 2023.
Legal Requirements: All Columbus Academy employees must pass required criminal records checks. Where appropriate, individuals will also be required to provide proof of academic credentials.
Columbus Academy believes strongly in the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. We strive to foster a diverse campus community, which recognizes the value of all persons regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability or socioeconomic background.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Include additional information about how to apply, benefits, etc.
Posted On: May 18, 2023 / This posting expires: Jul 1, 2023