Youth Librarian - Part-time/temporary
Organization:Westerville Public Library
- MLS Degree from an ALA accredited institution.
- Two years’ experience in a public library setting.
- General knowledge of library principles, practices, technology, and procedures.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public.
- Ability to use innovative, creative and artistic talents in developing programming and outreach.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a participative management setting.
- Must possess a positive attitude and be committed to quality customer service.
- Must demonstrate an interest in and a genuine desire to serve children and young people.
- Must possess physical stamina to lift, bend, stand and walk.
PRIMARY FOCUS: Youth Services early childhood; infants, young children, readers' advisory for birth-pre-K, school age book talks, early literacy.
Temporary position – expected to last approximately 8 months
Part-Time, 20 hrs/week; Non-exempt
4 week rotating schedule with at least one evening a week and one weekend out of four.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
A Librarian in the Youth Services Department has the responsibility of executing and maintaining the operation of the Youth Services Department, providing services and resources to children and young adults.
- Works with patrons to provide appropriate resources to satisfy their informational, educational, and recreational needs by means of reference interviews or reader's advisory services.
- Assists in the development of a year-round programming schedule and participates in the execution of programs for the toddler through high school levels.
- Assists department manager in long range departmental planning and program development.
- Responds to customer needs and deals with them in a pleasant, friendly and professional manner.
- Recommends policies and procedures to the department manager on the operations of the Youth Services department.
- Prepares reports and collects data on departmental operations for the department manager.
- Assists in the acquisition of juvenile and young adult print materials to meet user demand and to provide informational resources.
- Assists in maintaining contact with and providing services to local organizations and educational groups serving children and young adults.
- Assists in the provision of programming and bibliographic data to the Marketing department for media releases and promotional materials.
- Keeps current on technological advances, innovative services and procedures, and current resources through professional readings.
- May be asked to act in the Manager's absence.